WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

91 318 Nostalgia

GunMetalGrey

Surprise! I bought another e30!
This purchase was very last minute, and involved driving to Chicago to grab it. 

1991 318i Sedan
~250k on chassis (ODO stopped at 230k)
~150k on motor
AW2 paint with tan interior (black driver seat due to tan seat needing repair, but was included)
Paint is in pretty good shape, and the body is surprisingly good. Car was in southern states most of its life according to the seller, which I can believe. 
Nothing else about it is really that special lol.

As many of you may know my first car was a white 91 318i sedan, and I always had a thing for that car. So I decided to get another one! The plan to is get some suspension work done (original bushings) and fix a bunch of the little issues that it has. The motor was went through and has a lot of new parts, so that portion of the car should be good to go after I swap the temp sender for the ECU. 

I would like to get this running well and the issues fixed so that this can replace my current daily driver (2010 Mazda 3s hatch 6spd) 

Only one picture at this point.

IMG_20161204_162634601_HDR

2 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Congrats! This sounded like a good deal in the CL ad with all the work that had been done and the price point. Hope the issue is just the temp sensor.

There was a handful of things that were not mentioned in the ad, such as the drivers door lock being replaced with a bolt, the passenger door lower hinge being broken, and the interior passenger door handle being broken. Not deal breakers, but a bit lame to find after driving 3 hours. 
I ended up paying him $500 less than his asking price, so I feel like I got a decent deal!

• 2 weeks later...

Stiiiilll haven't touched this. 

I did notice that the PO put a "new" radiator and bleed screw in it. The radiator appears to have been from a car with some cooling system issues. The expansion tank is bulged out quite far, even with the cap off. 
His "new bleed screw" was some sort of torx head fastener from some interior area. No wonder it is sucking air into the cooling system.

Some people I tell ya

• 3 weeks later...

I finally started digging into the mechanical side of this thing since buying it. I had been working on getting things painted and just cleaned up in general on it. 
Did all trim in black, replaced rear bumper trim, painted the mirrors and grills black, fixed the drivers seat so I could have one interior color, and other things like that. 

First thing I did was evacuate the transmission of it's far too thick oil. The car didn't like shifting and I can tell why, someone used the same oil for the diff as the trans. 

I put the car up in the air to get started underneath it and found some stuff. The underside of this thing is staggeringly clean, and the worst areas actually show in the pictures below, which is primarily just a bit of surface rust. 

Someone must have decided steering couplings were dumb.

IMG_20170107_161111125

The amount of road grime underneath this thing is amazing. I will probably drop 20lbs just by scraping it all off! 

IMG_20170107_161412218IMG_20170107_161205848

Do these motor mounts look collapsed? Drivers side looks collapsed for sure. 

IMG_20170107_161332325

IMG_20170107_161339556

Someone decided to just cut the reverse switch wires and leave them dangle instead of doing anything else with them...

IMG_20170107_161135496

The subframe and rear trailing arm bushings are clearly in need of replacement. 

IMG_20170107_161226979

IMG_20170107_161217960

The most peculiar one of them all. I wanted to check the diff to see if it was an LSD or open, and had the rear of the car in the air. I spun one wheel forward and watched to see what the other side did. It did nothing. I went to the other side and spun it and I got the same result. So either this thing has a broken open diff (seems odd) or an EXTREMELY worn out LSD. More digging on that later! 

19 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Put it in gear so the driveshaft doesn't spin, then spin a wheel.  Either a wheel and the driveshaft turns or if the driveshaft is held both wheels will spin.

I've never needed to do that before, and if you have a diff on the workbench it will still spin all inputs/outputs without any being held. 

I will for curiosity though.