WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

91 318 Nostalgia

GunMetalGrey

I swapped the FPR on the car in attempt to help the hot start, as a lot of people online said that was their issue. It did not fix mine.

I have a CEL for the coolant temp sensor, but the sensor is clearly new, and there is a receipt for it in the car. I don't know if I double checked the number, but it is blue like it should be.
I have a feeling the CLT sensor is the problem, and I will check the sensor itself and then ensure that the wiring from the plug to the ecu is good. If I can fix the hot start issue I would feel much more confident in the car. 

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I swapped the FPR on the car in attempt to help the hot start, as a lot of people online said that was their issue. It did not fix mine.

I have a CEL for the coolant temp sensor, but the sensor is clearly new, and there is a receipt for it in the car. I don't know if I double checked the number, but it is blue like it should be.
I have a feeling the CLT sensor is the problem, and I will check the sensor itself and then ensure that the wiring from the plug to the ecu is good. If I can fix the hot start issue I would feel much more confident in the car. 

I had an e30 that had an intermittent problem with the temp sensor for the ecu.  It would surge at idle when it warmed up and sometimes wouldn't start, it was the corrosion in the plug.  I cleaned up the connection and it was fine.

7 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

I had an e30 that had an intermittent problem with the temp sensor for the ecu.  It would surge at idle when it warmed up and sometimes wouldn't start, it was the corrosion in the plug.  I cleaned up the connection and it was fine.

I think I half assed tried this earlier but couldn't quickly find anything to clean the contacts with. 
What did you use? 

CLT issue fixed. 
Started by cleaning the contacts, then pulled the ecu connector and checked for continuity between the connector for the ecu and the sensor connector. Nada. Broken wires, b but where?
Grabbed a spare harness (thanks @HipMF for hoarding m42 parts) and doubled checked my test method on a different harness and confirmed that the one in my car didn't have the cotton-nuity. 
Started pulling pieces off to gain access to the loom box under the intake and found that under the extremely brittle wire covering was a broken sensor wire, and one just barely hanging on. Patched those up and started it. CEL is gone! Car idled better than ever, and sadly there was another car in the way so I was unable to take it out to get it to temp and check the hot start issue. Though I doubt that still exists. 

Progress. 

Took the door panel off the drivers side to replace a broken door handle yesterday. It appears that at some point when a previous owner removed the drivers door lock they decided they didn't have enough room to access it so instead they just took a grinder to the door. Why?

2017-01-30_07-38-10

Hot start issue is gone, which means we are throwing this thing into daily use even though I am still slightly hesitant of that!

New front control arms, control arm bushings, tie rod assemblies, tie rod boots, and strut tops were ordered yesterday to fix up the front bushings and ball joints. They feel okay but the ball joints are quite worn so I may as well knock it all out at once!

Now to tackle the blower motor. Only works on 4 and sounds bad, which usually means that one of the covers is hitting the blades.

Good deal!

Not sure if it was a track concrete gator issue or the earlier wall tag, but when I opened up the housing on the track car the metal clip holding the blower motor was still in place but the motor itself had been slightly knocked out of the normal housing seat position and was rotated about 1/4" backwards towards the firewall.

One more reason to keep yours a daily driver.

I look forward to replacing the front suspension and tie rods on this. Driving home last night on the highway with wind, grooved road, snow tires, and worn ball joints was quite a bit of work! 

Trying to slide in this in the snow is different. It lacks the power that I prefer, but lift off over-steers quite well. I could certainly do without the beehive power plant!

It's been doing me well though, and is certainly more enjoyable (even in mediocre condition) to drive than the Mazda!