WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

91 318 Nostalgia

GunMetalGrey

34 minutes ago, Earl said:

And I really wonder how a lot of guys in the UK slide compacts with m42's and have zero issues doing it lol. I wonder if the e36 m42 has that much more torque to make the difference...I doubt it but it just amazes me 

Crappy tires, lots of handbrake/clutch kicks, and a gas pedal that might as well be welded to the floor haha 

38 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Crappy tires, lots of handbrake/clutch kicks, and a gas pedal that might as well be welded to the floor haha 

I guess this is part of my problem, I think the car is kind of loud to be flying around neighborhoods past 4k RPM due to the beehive that is clearly angry under the hood. 
I will say that the power level isn't quite as disappointing as I remember. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got to work on cars this weekend! It has been far too long since that happened! 
Got the lowering springs in (thanks Mitch!) 
Also put in new tie rods (inner and outer with new boots), sway bar end links as the old ones were destroyed, and new strut tops. 

The PO had told me it leaked oil because the drain plug was stripped out and he just used silicon to seal it, and it leaked. I grabbed a new lower pan and found that someone decided to use whatever shit they had laying around for the rear bolts that hold the lower pan to the upper. This includes, but was not limited to, giant machine screws, what appeared to be some sort of massive wood screw, screws with flats ground in them to cut threads, and various other sized hardware. Someone also punched through the upper pan with a drill when making these new "threads" so I JB Welded that shut. 

IMG_20170219_142102059

Next steps are to do some interior work and get some fog lights, a front lip, and put the brake ducts back in. 
I'm also trying to source some ellipsoids. 

On that note...

Last night I checked the fuses for the high beams as they weren't functioning. One was blown so I replaced it. While I was looking at the fuses I saw way too many 20 and 30 amp fuses. I grabbed the Bentley to check the proper values and found that the majority of fuses had been replaced with 20 or 30 amp fuses.

Why are people so dumb?!

I also got the interior lights working again which is a nice touch!

On 2/20/2017 at 9:49 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

Got to work on cars this weekend! It has been far too long since that happened! 
Got the lowering springs in (thanks Mitch!) 
Also put in new tie rods (inner and outer with new boots), sway bar end links as the old ones were destroyed, and new strut tops. 

The PO had told me it leaked oil because the drain plug was stripped out and he just used silicon to seal it, and it leaked. I grabbed a new lower pan and found that someone decided to use whatever shit they had laying around for the rear bolts that hold the lower pan to the upper. This includes, but was not limited to, giant machine screws, what appeared to be some sort of massive wood screw, screws with flats ground in them to cut threads, and various other sized hardware. Someone also punched through the upper pan with a drill when making these new "threads" so I JB Welded that shut. 

for fuck's sake the things that people do that they think are good ideas is astonishing. How could someone not be troubled to just simply order proper new hardware? This car was headed for an early grave if it hadn't been saved by you 

• 2 weeks later...