WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

91 318 Nostalgia

GunMetalGrey

5 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

The most peculiar one of them all. I wanted to check the diff to see if it was an LSD or open, and had the rear of the car in the air. I spun one wheel forward and watched to see what the other side did. It did nothing. I went to the other side and spun it and I got the same result. So either this thing has a broken open diff (seems odd) or an EXTREMELY worn out LSD. More digging on that later!

well its an open now, in either scenario.

i am also curious as to why...i found that scenario all over the internet, but no one seems to have an answer for whats going on.

The driveshaft apparently has less static friction than the opposing wheel, despite being geared up... My guess would be that the brakes (or parking brake) is dragging slightly. CV joints full of mud/tar? Can't really think of any other logical reasons... CV joint joint friction might make sense, since the suspension is at full droop, whereas the driveshaft is in a straight(ish) line.

Yea it just depends where there is more friction.  While we are on the discussion of differentials, I have an open and an LSD for my e36, the open spins very easily but the LSD is much stiffer to turn.  Is this an indicator that something is wrong or is that just how and LSD is?  I have never had one before.  I haven't used it in my car yet but it came from a crashed m3 with low miles so I assumed it was ok.

2 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Yea it just depends where there is more friction.  While we are on the discussion of differentials, I have an open and an LSD for my e36, the open spins very easily but the LSD is much stiffer to turn.  Is this an indicator that something is wrong or is that just how and LSD is?  I have never had one before.  I haven't used it in my car yet but it came from a crashed m3 with low miles so I assumed it was ok.

The 4.10 LSD I have for my e30 is also very stiff to turn by hand, I figured that was normal since it spins smoothly, haven't had the back cover off yet to inspect. No idea on mileage and condition though as I got it with my M3 suspension. 

So it looks like the HG wasn't the issue luckily! 

I replaced the radiator with the one I had been using this summer in my M52 car, and bled the system and my overheating issue went away. The old radiator didn't really drain, so I think there was something plugged in there. 

As a result of this I decided to start doing bushings. This is always a whole lot of fun! Of course the parking brake fought me on the way out. 

2017-01-15_09-26-56

Plan is to remove the subframe bushings from my red e30 and install riser bushings into that car, and take the subframe bushings from that car and put them in the 318. 
I will also be doing the trailing arm bushings, rear shock mounts, and replacing the diff with an LSD. 
I should also be obtaining some snow tires soon for the car. 

It feels good to finally get this thing under the knife. Though I always forget that doing the subframe is pretty lame!

Got to work on the other car. 

IMG_20170116_190337918

The other subframe came down with much less drama, so that was quite nice!
The bushings that were in the 325 show some odd shaping and I'm trying to determine the cause. 

This is the bottom bushing (facing up though)

IMG_20170116_202504090

This is the top bushing (correct orientation) 

IMG_20170116_202532656

IMG_20170116_192003109

The bottom bushing has become concave, and I'm trying to determine if that was the result of me not running a washer on the top of the top bushings. 
I think that makes sense, but at the same time it almost makes less sense.  The plate that the lower rests on has a raised middle portion so I would expect some deformation, but not quite that much. 

RTAB's ordered, 4.10LSD located, things are starting to move smoothly on this! 

Boom! 4.10LSD obtained. 
It's a medium case, which is meh for the car but I couldn't be picky as there were very few options available. 

I was working on unbolting the CV's, then I realized I can just swap the diff cups over and not have to unbolt anything. I was happy with my decisions. 

2017-01-18_09-33-42

She's a bit crusty and needs some love. 

I set fire to many bushings last night. 
Got the old RTAB's out, as well as the old subframe bushings. 

I also cleaned up the diff a bit and put new fluid in it. The old diff was messed up and makes plenty of weird/bad noises when you spin just one output cup. 

If I get bushings today I am hoping to have the car back on its own feet this weekend! 

Took this out last night to feel how the new rear end felt, and all feels good! I fixed the PO's terrible exhaust work as well, so now the exhaust actually exits from the muffler!

Sadly I found that what I had thought was diff whine before is in fact a wheel bearing that is close to giving up on life. 

I also have hot start issues, and am going to try replacing the FPR as most people claim that's what is common on these. 

I want to start daily driving it, but I don't trust it yet.