WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

I'm starting a new project soon for my dad.  He lost compression on his e46 330i and Mraz told him they *thought* it was the head gasket but wouldn't know for sure until they replace it.  It has really low compression in all cylinders and they said they had never seen this before hence the "we start with this then see what happens" plan.  With a $3,000 estimate to find out if they're right he called me.  So, it sit's in my garage while I try to find time to tear it apart.

5 minutes ago, HipMF said:

cam timing issue? broken chain guide maybe?

They checked the cams and didn't find an issue.  I'll dig around before ripping it all apart but Mraz was kind enough to leave the valve cover and vanos unit off with everything else undone when it showed up to my house.  On one hand I can't test anything without putting it back together and on the other it's less work now to tear the rest off.

Yea, i'm not sure what to think of it but I can't fault Mraz for how they handled it.  They were honest with my dad and told him they had never seen this but felt it may be a head gasket and that's where they wanted to start.  If that wasn't it then they'd continue to diagnose.  For $3k I told him he could go buy another e46 and for $7k-$10k he could go get an e90.  If i can't figure it out or the headgasket doesn't fix it then he'll sell it.  It'll be a shame if I can't fix it because he's got some decent upgrades on it and it looks pretty good with the zsp package.

I hit 250k on the way to work this morning on the old Maxima.  It has no rocker panels and is held together with tape and zip ties but she still goes.  Last fall I had to add a "fuel pump priming" pushbutton on the dashboard that forces the fuel pump relay on.  I must have a leaky injector or pressure regulator that bleeds off pressure too fast so it wouldn't reliably start with the 2 second fuel pump prime like it was supposed to.  I have a pressure gauge in the supply line and it drops to 0 immediately when the pump stops running.  I am not so OCD about repairs on it as my BMW if you can't tell.

1 hour ago, jc43089 said:

I hit 250k on the way to work this morning on the old Maxima.  It has no rocker panels and is held together with tape and zip ties but she still goes.  Last fall I had to add a "fuel pump priming" pushbutton on the dashboard that forces the fuel pump relay on.  I must have a leaky injector or pressure regulator that bleeds off pressure too fast so it wouldn't reliably start with the 2 second fuel pump prime like it was supposed to.  I have a pressure gauge in the supply line and it drops to 0 immediately when the pump stops running.  I am not so OCD about repairs on it as my BMW if you can't tell.

You need a new car.  At some point your only keeping that thing running for the sake of saying that it's still running.  

1 hour ago, Earl said:

Nice donk...

Haha, know anyone that wants to buy some 20's? Those will be the first to go. Gonna get some 19s, H&R springs, LED angel eyes, and paint the kidneys black. Should be good.

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Please kill those wheels with fire.  Nice looking car otherwise!  What's up with the F32(?) in the background?

Thanks man. It will compliment the 1-series nicely. And it's an F30 335i. It was the dealership owner's car. Beautiful car.

Random little project that I thought I'd share. I refinished this old valve cover that I got from Jeff. Turned out pretty good.p><p>
<a  href=http://www.wibimmers.com/board/uploads/monthly_2017_01/20170120_215154.thumb.jpg.872eba3af6ee534d98f36589dc3aeaa1.jpg' alt='20170120_215154.thumb.jpg.872eba3af6ee534d98f36589dc3aeaa1.jpg'>

20170120_215154.jpg

That think looks pretty cool.

Sold my e36 Vert to a gentlemen whom I believe is already a member here (Marc).

Used part of that money and bought a Kimber Custom II from another BMW guy, who should be joining up shortly.

Now the important stuff, what have I missed in the past XX months since I last posted?

18 minutes ago, Ryan... said:

Used part of that money and bought a Kimber Custom II from another BMW guy, who should be joining up shortly.

Now the important stuff, what have I missed in the past XX months since I last posted?

did you get he kimber in two-tone? drool...

what have you missed this winter? not a whole lot. secret santa. even though snap said he was going to sell the e30, instead he bought more non-bmws and owns like 5 cars or something. young & sons salvage is in full boom. ice rally shenanigans hasn't started due to the weather, sadly.

Pictures?

did you get he kimber in two-tone? drool...

what have you missed this winter? not a whole lot. secret santa. even though snap said he was going to sell the e30, instead he bought more non-bmws and owns like 5 cars or something. young & sons salvage is in full boom. ice rally shenanigans hasn't started due to the weather, sadly.

Yes sir, 2 tone!

Snap never was a trustworthy man, I learned not to believe him..

I would love to do ice shenanigans, but I rhino my truck it's a bit heavy for it..

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Pictures?

Don't have any good ones, but here she is!

8c2354197d611134623d1719bbfbf0e6.jpg

22148cac6edeea9581d6e366902b46a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk