I took a moment today to knock out the DCT boot today from Coby Wheel. It's not exactly as simple as the parking brake boot was and I reached out to Coby Wheel for some direction which he provided quickly. Part of the instructions included cutting my old leather boot off... which I wasn't really thrilled about. I was fully prepared to do this when I started the project but later figured out I didn't need to.
First step was removing the shift decal and face plate from the knob. I used a small blade screwdriver to pry the decal off then used a torx to take the screw out holding the face plate.
After this I removed the leather boot from the frame using a flat blade screwdriver. Now, this is where you would normally cut the leather boot off of the base of the shift knob then ziptie the new one on. I decided to try and slide the leather boot through the alcantara one and have the new alcantara rest on top of the leather boot. I did this in order to easily revert back to stock without having to buy a new knob/boot assembly. Once I had that done there is a piece of boot that you can slide under the face plate and sandwich in order to have a more seamless look.
Here it is with the face plate resting on top and the alcantara boot resting over the leather boot.
To be honest, once I got to this point I was actually disappointed about the fitment. It looked really frumpy. I decided to put it in the car and see if being on the shift lever helped.
I used some double sided tape to install the decal and popped her in.
I'm much happier with it installed! It's still more bunched up than the leather boot was but I don't mind it at all. I'm really happy with the boot and it was a quick 30~ min DIY that's completely reversible.