WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

1 minute ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I don't think I have ever "had" to charge the batteries on it.  I usually swap out to a fully charged one when I start a project but I can't honestly remember a battery dying or fading to the point that I had to swap it out.

Isn't that fun?! I rarely ever charge mine, because I never need to. Then when I do need to it only takes about 30 minutes anyway. 
Batteries have come a long way in the past 5 or so years. I look forward to seeing more development of them! 

1 minute ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Isn't that fun?! I rarely ever charge mine, because I never need to. Then when I do need to it only takes about 30 minutes anyway. 
Batteries have come a long way in the past 5 or so years. I look forward to seeing more development of them! 

^^^This is what you are paying for when you buy these tools.  Battery technology.  I did a ton of research before buying my Dewalt kit and this included talking to reps, talking to buyers at work, reading reviews, etc.  Every conclusion that was drawn is that Dewalt and Milwaukee are at the top of the pack for battery technology right now.  This is where a tool separates itself from another.  The performance for these tools are all in the battery and not every battery is created equal.

2 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Woah, here I was starting to peg you as the person that just randomly hates companies for no reason and complains about them! 
I imagine when you started using them was more then 5 years ago. I would give them a shot. The M18 fuel 3/8" impact had the highest amount of torque from all of the big brands of 3/8 impact that I could find. Therefore I went with it. 
It looks like the Bosch 18v unit only has 125 ft/lbs of torque, which is pretty darn low. 
Looks like the Makita ($414) has 150 ftllbs
I ended up getting mine for $200 with a coupon, and its rated at 200 ft/lbs
All depends on what you want to take off with it!

Dewalt has always felt cheap to me as well, so I get where you come from on "fancy black & decker".

You are pretty right on about the section I bolded.  Haha, in all actuality, I usually have reasons for all my likes and dislikes, but a lot of times my reasons are pretty dumb.

What is the torque of the Milwaukee and Dewalt, or the snap-on or matco?  Why are we so interested in the 3/8" instead of the 1/2"?  Why is the M18 called the 'fuel'?  Now if it had a fuel canister in it like a plasload nail gun, that would be sweet.

53 minutes ago, Earl said:

r-KATIE-KENSETH-large570.jpg

It's Delana Kenseth!

19 minutes ago, REKIII said:

You are pretty right on about the section I bolded.  Haha, in all actuality, I usually have reasons for all my likes and dislikes, but a lot of times my reasons are pretty dumb.

What is the torque of the Milwaukee and Dewalt, or the snap-on or matco?  Why are we so interested in the 3/8" instead of the 1/2"?  Why is the M18 called the 'fuel'?  Now if it had a fuel canister in it like a plasload nail gun, that would be sweet.

I've been focused on 3/8" for it's versatility.  I've never had to rely on it as my only impact and always had a 1/2" Ingersoll Rand air impact.

45 minutes ago, REKIII said:

What is the torque of the Milwaukee and Dewalt, or the snap-on or matco?  Why are we so interested in the 3/8" instead of the 1/2"?  Why is the M18 called the 'fuel'?  

The Fuel version has the three torque/speed settings, and a brushless motor with greater torque.
My interest in the 3/8" vs 1/2" is because of the body size. The 1/2" impacts get very large very quickly, but the 3/8" bodies are kept compact to fit in small spaces. 
M18 Fuel - 200 ft/lbs rated (I tested at 225 before the threads where pulling from tightening too much) - $260 - compact size
Dewalt 20v MAX - 130 ft/lbs - $250 - Compact size
Snap on 18v - 325 ft/lbs - $650 - Larger than the two others by appearance
Matco - Essentially the snap on for $100 less

37 minutes ago, CMart said:

Air sucks because you need the cord. I was thinking it might get more use if it was electric.

More often than not I can use my electric impact for the job.  When I can't then I use a regular ratchet.  If it requires a ratchet then there's a large possibility I wouldn't be able to fit a pneumatic or cordless ratcheting wrench in the space.  I don't think I've ever had a problem with the hose being in the way, it's always been a matter of space with the tool.

Went to Nue's yesterday to check out the impacts.  The bosch and Makita offerings for Impact are no where near the torque ratings for comparable Milwaukee units.  I didn't even look at dewalts.  Pretty much sucks.  I'll either be sticking with air or looking to see what else is out there.