WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

20 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

may not notice the difference between a fine tooth ratchet and cheap-o ratchet nor may they care about the difference.  

This kills me, trying to work with someone else's tools and they have a PowerDuraLastTorque Ratchet that has 3 teeth, and you have to work in a tight area. 
The Craftsman Professional ratchets have proven to be awesome, awesome ratchet at a good price. 

There's definitely some tools I don't cheap out on, like torque wrenches for example. If it has the ability to damage something much more expensive than the cost of the tool I get a nice one.

However, If I'm only going to use it once in a blue moon, I don't mind cheaping out as long as it gets the job done. I don't need to buy a $100 O2 sensor removal tool from Snap-on to replace a sensor every few years at the most, the one I bought on amazon for $10 did it perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

This kills me, trying to work with someone else's tools and they have a PowerDuraLastTorque Ratchet that has 3 teeth, and you have to work in a tight area. 
The Craftsman Professional ratchets have proven to be awesome, awesome ratchet at a good price. 

Shots fired! Don't hate on my awesome ratchet set.

21 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I think for someone who just does this stuff at home there are some things worth spending money on such as cordless tools or air tools but they may not notice the difference between a fine tooth ratchet and cheap-o ratchet nor may they care about the difference.  

This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. If I were balls deep into cars or worked on them every day, I would invest in tools that make jobs easier and more efficient. Until then, I would rather spend my money on parts instead of tools. So far I've managed to get stuff done in my garage. Might take (a lot) longer than necessary sometimes, but oh well!

21 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

It doesn't matter to me what's on the box as long as the shit does what I need it to do and doesn't explode in my face

I can relate to this :)

Ben (GunMetalGrey) would have placed 4th in the AWD with snow tire class today, but he was driving a RWD, so instead he took first... in a stock e34 525i with 267k on the clock...

I, quite sadly, was about 2 seconds slower, but to be fair he's had a lot more seat time in my car than I have.

Regardless, good times were had. See you all at the next event :P

http://www.fvscc.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20648#post20648

24447080660_5b806a4198_b.jpg

24648991811_dd94f68a11_b.jpg

24625654032_a1e1f21ef6_b.jpg

24375135249_526eefc8ce_h.jpg

23 minutes ago, HipMF said:

The fvscc events get posted about a week in advance on their forum. I don't think they'll have a legit schedule this year due to the unpredictable weather.

Road America winter autocross schedule is here:

http://www.roadamerica.com/experiences/get-on-track/autocross.html

cwscc also holds events on lake sinnissippi.

thanks! i just looked at the results from the weekend, had to laugh:

AWD All Season:
1. David S. (Astro Van)................79.76...........73.41......... .......153.17
2. Matt W. (WRX white)...............81.97...........73.27........ .........155.24
3. Joe M. (STi blue).....................91.88...........72.45... ..............164.33
4. Yitzhak P. (STi blue)...............108.77.........99.68.......... ........208.45
5. Alex R (STi silver)....................DNF.............90.31.. .....................

Also, Ben's time was almost good enough for #1 in AWD snow tire class...so much for AWD being much help for traction. 

12 hours ago, HipMF said:

Ben (GunMetalGrey) would have placed 4th in the AWD with snow tire class today, but he was driving a RWD, so instead he took first... in a stock e34 525i with 267k on the clock...

I, quite sadly, was about 2 seconds slower, but to be fair he's had a lot more seat time in my car than I have.

It was about two years ago when I sold it, it's been awhile lol.
I think it may just be the fact that I have driven RWD cars in winter every year since I started driving. The Geo isn't too similar to the e34 in winter :)

14 hours ago, HipMF said:

Regardless, good times were had. See you all at the next event :P

http://www.fvscc.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20648#post20648

Just saw this now, 10th place for me... better than last!

Thanks for nudging us to come, I had a blast.

10 hours ago, Snap said:

Nicely done!

Great pics, who has the touring? Spence?

Awww yeahhh :)

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

thanks! i just looked at the results from the weekend, had to laugh:

AWD All Season:
1. David S. (Astro Van)................79.76...........73.41......... .......153.17
2. Matt W. (WRX white)...............81.97...........73.27........ .........155.24
3. Joe M. (STi blue).....................91.88...........72.45... ..............164.33
4. Yitzhak P. (STi blue)...............108.77.........99.68.......... ........208.45
5. Alex R (STi silver)....................DNF.............90.31.. .....................

Also, Ben's time was almost good enough for #1 in AWD snow tire class...so much for AWD being much help for traction. 

Ben and Mike put down some good times, that's for sure. The E34 seems to be an epic snow shredder. Makes me wish I had some new Altimax Arctics on mine instead of the worn Blizzaks. Hopefully there is one more event this year, I'd love to improve my skills.

I'll add some of the pictures I took later tonight.