WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rowleym

Awesome car videos!

9 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Check this out, '49 ford shell onto an E92 chassis.

Nope.

No.

Uh-ah.

*shakes head*

not approved.

I also, for better or worse, have been a part of car culture, not since I was 15, but basically since birth. I remember my dad carrying me around on his solders at Iola back in the 80's. My dad unfortunately, is a born-and-bred suburban redneck muscle car guy. I've grown beyond that, and have gone through a lot of "phases" of interest in a lot of the different sub-cultures that exist within car culture. The shoebox Ford is a cultural icon. When it deputed it was a radically new compared to the previous year. Such a radical styling change would be almost unimaginable today.

1948-ford-super-deluxe-2-door-sedan

1949_Ford_custom_300_pic3.JPG

Gone were the protruding fenders, and with it, any memory of the old pre-war, horse-and-buggy days. Technology had advanced. This was a new era. That didn't last long though. The 40's turned into 50's, and the shoebox Ford went from being radically modern, to dated and downright boring in less than a decade.

1959%20Ford%20Galaxie.jpg

This was a pivotal time in history, because it was the formative years for the baby boomer generation. The same way that my dad, who was a teenager in the mid to late 70s, continues to think that souped-up pre-oil-crisis muscle cars are the best cars that have ever been made, boomers grew up in a era where the 1950s "lead-sled" customs were starting to give way to the 1960 hot-rods. They were just getting their drivers licensees around this time. For them, the shoebox Ford was about as modern of a car that they could afford, but the same as today had dreams of customizing it, and there was no shortage of examples out there to look to for inspiration.

Bill-hines-1950-ford-profile2.jpg

b07f2f656ab938bc956258db959a7875.jpg

CCC-leroy-goulart-50-Ford-last-version.j

What welding a shoebox Ford body onto an e92 has to do with any of this is beyond me. At no point was the shoebox Ford ever a performance platform. Reminds me more of the kits you could get to put a shoebox frontend on a 90s t-bird:

c0d5ed8ea1534617c7292a657fa5c439.jpg

Learn history. #respectyourelders

I'm not big on Nurburgring videos but this is cool seeing an F1 driver toss around a car he's never driven until that day.  Also, my favorite is when he tells the story about the first place requiring him to have an instructor to rent a car for the track.