WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

Sway bar is mounted and torqued

9df976faa93e53d721499e1cca9ad32c.jpg

Got the control arm offset bushings on (pain in the ass because of the taper)

e388fb4ee4ab5f96a231ef315868bf00.jpg

I'll most likely pop those in tomorrow. After they are in I'll be dropping the engine back onto the subframe so I can get the support bar out of the way. Then it'll be on to the rear subframe

For anyone who was curious about the ST sway bar hardware here's a picture. Way beefier Than the oem stuff. Washer has a gap due to this shit being 28 years old

e93acea0ce36ee65df5230865f2f8922.jpg

Also does anyone have any use for these rear trailing arm sway bar mount reinforcements (and bushing brackets)?? I already had these reinforcements.

f2eff7e0e502fa0d45086acd3af6c803.jpg

If you pay postage they're yours

are you going to do 6 or more track days every year? adjustable coilovers.

if not, just pick a tried and true setup and roll with it.  I'd say Koni/IE3 or Koni/H&R is failproof.

Intentions are to get into some more auto x events. Car will be DD'd in the summer on occasion but I'm not relying on it as my only mode of transportation.

Only reason I was after adjustability is I can choose my spring rates and adjust the front end of the car for height

Adjustability sounds very nice at this point

Control arms are on & skid plate is mounted. Tomorrow going to lower the engine back into the subframe

15b246e887f78842ba6f9ce4e90b891b.jpg

089827f205d910600e468de24230a683.jpg

2014ef65507b081244af70a727d8fb45.jpg

Can someone verify that these are torqued to a measly 30ftlbs??

003372fe51cf8ffcd5d42c6ce80c8c80.jpg

This much room between the pan and skid plate. Should take some decent hits if necessary

933b0c6c4275e462611e04a007343fdd.jpg

Can easily get the drain plug as well

2748bebaa1f797fd69cc423c2c0bc8c2.jpg

Led light added the lined look, it's not actually there

Hopefully I can get this heap in tomorrow 9b729180ae64ccccd0753c5d1cc56fda.jpg

11 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

This much room between the pan and skid plate. Should take some decent hits if necessary

933b0c6c4275e462611e04a007343fdd.jpg

not 'if necessary'. its going to happen. probably a lot. and it will be terrifying the first couple times. WHACK!

my favorite was roads and alleys that were crowned enough that the skid plate just scrapped along them the whole way.

I had redline 75w90 in mine, no issues to report for the >5,000 miles I put on the car since I did it. I will be putting the same thing in the M next weekend. How did the Red46 skid plate fit? I have the m42 one sitting in a box since it hasn't really been a priority on the e30 job list lately

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

I had redline 75w90 in mine, no issues to report for the >5,000 miles I put on the car since I did it. I will be putting the same thing in the M next weekend. How did the Red46 skid plate fit? I have the m42 one sitting in a box since it hasn't really been a priority on the e30 job list lately

red46 plate fit well. depending on the shape your core support is in, it goes on with 7 bolts. 2 longer ones in the rack & 5 thru the core support

32 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

Not sure if you guys are changing transmission fluid as well, but I have found that red line fluid works infinitely better in bmw transmissions over royal purple.

IIRC i may have put RP ATF (syncromax?) in it because that's all i could get on somewhat short notice before i put the trans in last year. Either way, trans shifts fine as far as I can tell, no obvious signs of crappy shifting/

For the diff im probably gonna go Redline 75w90, I believe I have RP 75w90 in there now (place I went to sold RP, can you tell)

Not sure if you guys are changing transmission fluid as well, but I have found that red line fluid works infinitely better in bmw transmissions over royal purple.

Royal purple has not helped my zf trans at all. Feels like the synchros aren't there sometimes. (From what I remember)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, DrLeadFoot said:

Royal purple has not helped my zf trans at all. Feels like the synchros aren't there sometimes. (From what I remember)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's what I'm saying, Royal Purple pretty much didn't let my zf go into gear when it was below 40 degrees outside. Redline completely fixed that.