WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

My new aftermarket carpet came in today! It needs to sit for a dayish so it can relax from shipping. It kinda sucks ill have to cut it up a bit but oh well..

6f8806764eb92d3b057b27445a6ea213.jpg

I'll probably just make one slice down the center (maybe like a foot and a half long) so I can slide it over the hydro, then cut out a circle for the shifter.

Probably will have to trim near the heater core and some trimming along the sides of the car as well.

Still unsure about what to do for gas pedal...maybe detach linkage and cut a slit in the carpet, slide carpet over pedal, then reattach. one step closer to a complete interior!!

Got the carpet in. As suspected, it was a pain in the ass. Had to do a decent amount of cutting and trimming to get it to fit. Other than that it all went decently smooth. I finally have a full black interior again, non of that tan BS (just need to find the ash trays to fill the consoles) then the interior will be complete. Also want to try and make the pedal area look more neat

Car got quite a bit quieter with carpets which is exactly what I was hoping for (can't hear the solid trans mounts too much now) **shittypicsoritdidnthappen-I'll get some better ones in the daylight

02e3e7a166f4db29dee7d1b6551b6280.jpg5ae651fd2fc5a87f6b90d9aea87725bb.jpg

Also put the e30 m20 coolant temp sensor in the head. I'm a dumbass and forgot to swap out the s50 one with a brown m20 sensor to make the cluster work when the engine was out of the car.

Luckily my hand fit under the intake far enough so I could swap them out. Didn't loose too much coolant at all and now the cluster works!

This is where the temp gauge climbed to and stayed.

851facb4b809502c783e99dfed5899eb.jpg

I drove very normally in town, gauge didn't move

Drove it hard, gauge didn't move

Freeway speed, gauge didn't move

Idling for 5 mins, gauge stayed

I also did all the above running my electric fan on and off (gauge stayed) also did the above with heat on and off at full blast (gauge didn't move)

At first it made me nervous that it wasn't dead center but hell, it's a 25 year old sensor on a 25 year old cluster

I currently don't have any of the radiator shrouding in that directs air from behind the bumper into the radiator. Wonder if that would help at all, I think I still have them laying around

Quick search on R3v says that's high. Ground nut on the cluster tight? System bled, might want to rebleed given how you swapped the sensor. Also would be useful to take engine temps with an infrared just as a check that the gauge/sensor/wiring is reading correctly.

I searched on r3v last night too, found lots of different opinions on the topic. Also read about the ground nut, havent checked it at all, but the gauge doesn't jump around sporadically either.

Granted 24v stuff runs a tad hotter than m20s, I will try to re-bleed as best as I can. I checked again last night and both of the hoses were very firm when warm, couldn't really squeeze the lower hose anymore. Where would you shoot the infrared temp sensor at? Thermostat housing?

Here's the thread I found for reference: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63652

But to get the cluster to work with a 24v swap you need the brown temp sensor from the m20 (what I've read on every swap thread ever) It has one lead on it and is the proper resistance to work with the cluster. The one I removed from the s50 had two leads on it and my temp gauge on my cluster didn't work when it was still in the head.

I stole the sensor from the m50 that was previously in my car (m20 temp sensor was in that head)

Actual numerical values for the coolant temperature would be nice, as would oil temp and cylinder head temps to be able to say for sure, but that isnt easily done here. 

From my foggy memory, that range on the temp gauge is only around 220F on my car, so if I ever saw the needle get that high on a hot day with lots of boost/stop and go, I didnt panic. 

If it never gets any higher in extreme conditions then I wouldnt have any problem driving my car like that

It may be a difference in thermostat temp. I have experimented with stock gauges and they are not linear, the visual middle is actually a pretty wide span of temp. I would reccomend a real temp gauge, I have an Autometer short sweep. Cheap and effective. I wouldn't worry about that reading high. I will eventually upgrade to a gauge that has a programmable indicator for overtemp. I think innovate has a combo gauge that does. I left my oe temp sensor connected and mounted under the intake manifold as an underhood temp gauge.

Sent from my potato phone.

• 1 month later...

Been driving it for about a month now (usually just in weekends and such for fun) and I was having an issue where it would randomly die while driving.

Snap had mentioned it sounded like a main relay symptom. I swapped in a spare main relay I had from my other harness, cleaned the harness ground up and found a new ground for some accessories I was running. Also swapped DMEs to the 413 silver label that came with my s50.

(I had a spare so why not)

Beat the shit out of it for about an hour a few days ago and no random turning off whilst driving happened. Hooray!!

I just thought it was odd it would start acting up after almost 1400 miles on the swap.

I still want to get harness covers & re secure my fuse box cover af7ade2a73fe798354d87f1ccb688310.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Officially addicted to auto x

5d23ffc36391bf83a5614d303eaaed45.jpg

First time ever doing an event like this and it was tons of fun. Will definitely want to do this again. After pushing my car to the best of my limited abilities I can see how a proper suspension helps. Yogurtland springs on bilstein HDs made for an interesting combo of body roll, lols, and getting sideways.

There were a total of 21 drivers in the novice class and I was super happy to come in 5th! I was trying to break 38seconds and finally snuck into the 37s on the very last run

4577027c7c60d3defdd515397d864c95.jpg

Hell yeah! Even with the M10 in my car, I had a blast. Was planning to do a lot more this year, but didn't get the car together soon enough. FVSCC has an event on the small track at Road America this weekend that I'm hoping to make it to. Should be a lot more fun now. I get TONS of body roll. Should really work on the suspension.... but turbo...

Need to get the car together by May next year instead of late July...

• 4 weeks later...