WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 E30

KaiserRolls

Finished up the fan wiring last night.

Toggle switch with red LED when fan is on

8816495712a051f91fb70dc706a273a0.jpg

Rats nest with 2, 20amp fuses (switch is a 25amp) I popped one of these on accident while testing the fan, so I'm glad I have them.

949a50d40bf1573f91c6518fc8c9da3b.jpg

Wires routed with some adhesive clips. Relay kinda tucked in the fender so it is easy to get to.

f083d24a38a3c8aac5ad5f6d5b0e8c69.jpg

Made some labels because I wanted to use all black 14g wire so it didn't look like streamers under the hood

2c50428951d9cca173769e328d2aeaa9.jpg

Aaaaaaaand. Mounted. Had to redo the two leads on the fan, I messed up power/ground. So my pusher acted as a puller--all good now!

9b8e125cd297187127fa01323546def6.jpg

Also ordered some new carpet for this thing last night. I got sick of looking at shitty floors.

Any one have any experience with dyeing the parcel shelf?? I want mine to be black. Is it worth the hassle? Or just easier to find a black one?

I drove it last night at about 2am

Car makes top end noise. Like bad m20 top end noise (couldn't hear it when I started it with open headers)

I'm probably going to be buying a daily driver within the next month or so. The e30 will get to sit. Kinda sucks getting literally everything back together only to find out the motor sounds like it has marbles in it.

Only thing I can think of is vanos, timing chain guides, lifter tick

Now might be a good time to send the head out...

My M42 had serious lifter tick the first time I started it up, even after idling for 5 or 10 minutes. I was really depressed that something was fucked.Took it up and down the block a few times and it was 95% gone. Seems like the lifters need a couple good beat-run to get pumped up. You may have the same problem...

My M42 had serious lifter tick the first time I started it up, even after idling for 5 or 10 minutes. I was really depressed that something was fucked.Took it up and down the block a few times and it was 95% gone. Seems like the lifters need a couple good beat-run to get pumped up. You may have the same problem...

That is pretty reassuring. I'm ditching the current oil- just wanted to use it for the first hour or so then put 15w-50 in it. The motor sat for 4/5 months without running and just had some "storage oil" in it.

I only ran it for about 5/7 minutes. I did drive a bit. Barely creeped around. Probably never got over 2500 rpm

I need to get my temp sensor working on the cluster/install an aftermarket one. So I know if I'm safe

Went out and drove it tonight.

Ticking is gone (there is still 20years of top end noise, but nothing even close to worrying)

Got the gas leak by the tank fixed tonight as well.

The VANOS could probably be replaced. There's some noise there, nothing toooooo terrible, but still annoying.

Other than getting a working coolant temp gauge & breaking in the clutch, this thing hauls decent ass.

I'm being fairly easy on it, and it scoots pretty good. (Granted I haven't driven a vehicle in the last 5 months lol)

Once clutch is broken in. I promise burnouts. Because really that's all that matters

Congrats! That car is going to be a blast.

I gave mine a quick wash at the pay-n-spray when I first got it running, but I could still read where I had written "Spray bombs 4 life" in dust on the windshield. Finally got the "air leak" before my fuel pump fixed (actually cavitation... neat), so today I took it home and gave it a proper wash. Sure feels good to have a legitimate car again instead of a pile of parts. thumbup.gif

My m50 clatters bad for the first few minutes after it sits all winter. Hold it around 3k rpms until the lifters get all the air out and its good to go. The Nissan on the other hand clatters if it sits for a week...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Good to know. I was super disappointed at first. Now it sounds good