WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Finally got serious about troubleshooting the ill-behaved fuel-pump relay on the e34.

Kind of an inside joke... it's "executive" because it's a 5-series, aka "executive car". So there's "executive shifting" (with your arm on the arm-rest), "executive lifter tick", and the...

IMG_20170331_215105662_zpspxnt4xjw.jpg

The indicator light shows when the relay is getting a signal from the DME, and the switch allows me to bypass the relay, which is nice for when it's cold outside and I don't want to open the hood to shove a paper clip in the relay socket. The whole thing has a 7 foot cord and plugs into the relay socket. The cord runs out from under the hood, through the passenger door, and the panel resides next to the shifter.

Initial test results showed that the relay is not getting a consistent ground from the DME. After a week of driving using the bypass switch, the car has not thrown any tantrums, or shown any other signs of ill temperament. I've remembered to turn off the fuel pump when exiting the car nearly 85% of the time, so life is good.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I fixed the low-hanging cover under the dash which was dragging on my toe when I went to shift, and I did an oil change. When you fix something, something else has to break in order to keep an equilibrium, so the cable that actuates the drivers door latch release mechanism had to give way. For the past week I've been having to reach back and open the rear door so that I can reach behind the B-pillar to grab the outside door handle so that I can get out of the car. Removing the drivers-side door card now allows me to actuate the mechanism without rolling down the window or opening the rear door.

Such is the life...

That seems like the most likely cause. The light flickers sometimes, but it seems to go between full on and full off. If it was a bad connection in the wiring I'd expect to see it go half lit at times. Will try to pick up a DME and a door latch cable today...

It's a pretty small place, but they manage to pack a lot of trails into it and there's a great variety of different trail types. "Bottoms Up" was my favorite. Rough and rocky at the top, but fast and flowy the whole way. "Drop Zone" is pretty intense. They have a "skill filter" at the top where you have to drop off a 2-foot rock to get on the trail, which gives you a pretty good idea what you're in store for. There's a couple jump-lines which I was able to ride, but had no real desire to try and clear any of the jumps aside from a few table tops. There's also a nice cross-contry loop, and a sandy, rocky area in the middle where I wasn't really able to follow the trail. Considering it's only a 25-minute drive for me, it's a pretty nice place to bomb around and have some fun.

5 hours ago, Snap said:

90c7cf5cc7a67c8e4a60e264a4e8e3d9.jpg

M4 on the Vegas Strip for shiggles

Disappointed that an episode of COPS wasnt being filmed as I drove through.

Also, this thing would probably sell for $15,000 because Toyota resale values are always on crack. I figured if nobody else, JC would enjoy seeing it.

c9f2d82cdff903841870ac3ba2bf05bb.jpg

Nice!!  Fancy snorkel and bumper too.  The price of clean LCs is sky high because most rusted away lol.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:31 PM, Jeff said:

Didn't know biking got that serious!!

It gets very serious! I like this photo, so I tend to whore it a touch. This is my face + a bike. 

20160611-_MG_3258

This is a fun one to say the least, its quite steep and there is a little step right below the steepest part. 
Picture of a friend for terrain reference. 

20160611-_MG_3254

Alright, I need to stop posting pictures because if I start I won't stop for a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...