WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

• 3 weeks later...

What are you gentlemen running for sway bars? I ran ST's in my 318 and was happy with them, but curious what others run. 
I went to an auto-x event yesterday, and was not thrilled with the way the car performed. I was running very slow times, and the tires didn't sound happy most of the day. I can see plenty of body roll through corners and through the slaloms and am thinking upgraded sway bars would help snug things up a bit. I am currently on stock sway bars.
The event was fun, my gearing is not. Running a 2.93 resulted in being out of the power band most of the time, yet we were cruising down the highway at 3200+ rpm on the way home. 

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no update!
New clutch master ordered, old one wasn't doing too well. Never go with used parts when doing a manual swap!
New tires put on (Dunlop Direzza ZII's) to replace the 4k mile BFG's (one gouged tire, wouldn't hold well in corners)
Lots of WOT...... like, a LOT. 
Got tim's e30 running, it is many times faster than mine. 
Drove with Collin. 
Picture dump time. Just kidding, things are being weird. This will have to do for now.

IMG_20160501_163833351_HDR

• 1 month later...

The M52 e30 had a clutch slave cylinder that was leaking like a pig, and so like any reasonable vintage BMW owner I spent about 2.5 weeks waiting to buy the part, and then finally put the new slave in last night. 

The Good News:
The clutch pedal is much more firm 
It finally engages at a logical point! 
It was shiny and new

The Bad News:
Swapping slave cylinders on a ZF in an E30 is a pain
I didn't even drive the car after swapping it. 

I am looking forward to boosting the engine again this winter, as everything has been going really well with it thus far in terms of motor break in and such. The car feels good, but could use an additional 250hp no problem! 

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 

Though I don't have cool videos like some other people here do, I raced an e36 M3 on the highway yesterday evening. I rolled up on him and noticed it was quite clean, lowered, nice wheels and collector plate on the back. He didn't notice me until I downshifted to go around a truck after I realized I was in the wrong lane. I noticed he quickly swept a couple of lanes of traffic and was right behind me. Obviously being the responsible citizen that I am I matted the gas and we went up to about 130, where I just kept inching further away from him. He had his windows up, I didn't, so I'm sure that was a big factor ;)
I found a lot of round-abouts and also probably annoyed a lot of people in the process.
This thing is fun to drive, but boost again will be even more fun!