WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

So I welded the diff in the 325e a bit ago, and got that back in the car, as well as some fresh oil.
I was very excited to take it out in the "big" storm we were supposed to get. I filled the tank and tossed 2 sandbags into the trunk for good measure. 
I am dumbfounded by how well it handled the snow. I could roll to a dead stop in snow that was past the tire sidewall, slowly release the clutch, and start moving forward like it was no big deal. I love it.
This is far better in the snow than the e46, and can handle much more snow than the e46 as well. 

IMG_20160202_155702926_HDR

IMG_20160202_155631649_HDR

1 minute ago, straight6pwr said:

so awesome. how did you raise it? also, it would look killer with a roof rack for the shovel, spare, gas can etc. yakima makes an 'axe bracket' that would be perfect for the shovel.

I have been thinking about welding something up for a roof rack, and then just welding it to the car. Low cost is key with this car. 
The rear is using e36 springs and shocks, no sway bar (this was critical to getting it high enough)
The front is on vert springs, and should have strut spacers soon. Spacers will bring the front up another 1.25" 
One of the front springs is still stock, and the pictures make it obvious. Drivers side is still stock. Darn ball joints didn't want to separate with out destruction. 
I need to get a pile of parts for the front suspension, e46 control arms, longer tie rod ends, and new struts. 

52 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I have been thinking about welding something up for a roof rack, and then just welding it to the car. Low cost is key with this car. 
The rear is using e36 springs and shocks, no sway bar (this was critical to getting it high enough)
The front is on vert springs, and should have strut spacers soon. Spacers will bring the front up another 1.25" 
One of the front springs is still stock, and the pictures make it obvious. Drivers side is still stock. Darn ball joints didn't want to separate with out destruction. 
I need to get a pile of parts for the front suspension, e46 control arms, longer tie rod ends, and new struts. 

yakima raingutter towers go for like $50 on craigs, iron pipe (which comes in the correct diameter) from home depot for the crossbars costs nothing, then just weld your custom rack to that.

• 1 month later...
IMG_20160403_155006684

IMG_20160403_163948613_HDR

IMG_20160403_155024518_HDR

Got the new res. set up and did a bunch of work in regards to exhaust and the front end of the car. Should be able to give it the first start this upcoming weekend if everything goes to plan. 

2016-04-03_07-29-59

A shopmate's girlfriend picked this up from a guy that had it in a climate controlled storage unit. It had been stored since 1997, with the tags on the plate to prove it. 
He dumped the "gas" and replaced all of the fluids and the fuel filter. It fired right up. Five spd 85 535i with 140k miles. Pretty cool car!
It is absolutely amazing how good of shape it is in, there is so little rust, and at that it's only faint surface rust. 

Hopefully if I get the car running next weekend I will be able to drive it shortly thereafter, because snow is on the forecast and the e30 doesn't deserve salt! 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the front end of the car all together, and got it running and driving!
The first time driving it was a huge disappointment, it just didn't feel right. The pedal position didn't seem to matter much in terms of power, it didn't feel smooth, and just didn't feel quite right. I changed the spark plugs from cheap plugs to less cheap plugs and viola it felt quite a bit more proper, and things seem to be working the way they should. I still have an idle issue that I haven't dug too far into yet, and my unloader relays aren't grounding, so I need to take care of those things and all should be well.
I still have the 2.93LSD in the car, and I was expecting it to be quite a slouch; but I was wrong. The m52 makes a lot more torque than the m50, and it is quite amusing to scoot around short shifting. 
I'm just glad to have the car back on the road! The chassis feels fantastic compared to my 205k mile e46! 

2016-04-15_07-38-01