WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

I will be bringing the E back into the shop today/tomorrow and getting back to work on it. 

Things to repair: 
Oil Pan replacement
Rear Brake (parking brake grenaded?)
New rear brake lines (through the cabin/trans tunnel)
Re-Work the skid plate 

I am going to be putting e46 control arms on the front of it, which will increase the track width more, and I currently barely clear the fender flares, so I will be widening the fenders for it. I look forward to seeing how that turns out, and deciding on how I truly want to go about it. 

That being said, I could use a spare fender (DS) as the fender flare was pulled in an odd manor that may not clean up well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Alignment numbers came back pretty good, though I think I may have bent a control arm a touch. The caster from side to side had about a .75 degree difference.  Not too big of a deal.
Car was set with .01 degree toe out, and it is interesting for sure!
Rear camber came in at about 2.5 degrees, so I may be doing subframe riser bushings this winter to get a bit more tire on the ground. This will be especially necessary if I run wider tires. 

• 5 weeks later...

Shock suggestions?

I found that this thing squats hard under accel, and I know the spring rates are very reasonable for what I do with the car.

I am currently running H&R Race springs with Bilstein sport shocks/struts. 

I know that the shocks/struts are not new by any means, but I know that Dan said he was much more satisfied with other solutions.

So what should I look into? Koni SA? I see that most distributors are having a sale on Konis, so I am tempted to grab a pair of rears to get started....

1)koni SA are way better than bilstein sports, for both the adjustability and ride comfort.

2)since you are doing rear shocks only, you could just pick up the rear shocks from a one of the coilover kits. you'll probably end up paying the same as a pair of konis, but you'll get better damper control with external adjustment knobs and a better top mount.

3)still thinking along the 'rears only' line of thought, alternatively you could just order the rear springs/adjusters from a set of coilovers with higher rates than you have now. For instance, from BC racing, the rear springs are $50/each and rear adjusters are $45/each and they carry up to 14kg spring rates

I'm already on ~10k rear springs (570lb/in) so I don't think I really need to go higher in spring rate.
The only site I have found at this point that sells rear shocks separately is BC, and their rear spring rate is 8k.

I only need the rear shocks, as I already have upgraded rear shock mounts from IE. 

In the long run I would also upgrade the fronts, but I am now realizing that it may create a weird situation... 

Edit: Is buying just front coilovers a thing?