WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

One step forward, three steps back.
Got the head one and torqued down, put the cams in and did the timing. 

Put the primary chain guide in (upper guide that holds the chain that runs between the cams)
When I went to tighten the bolt in the primary guide that runs down into the front timing cover, I grabbed the torque wrench and set it to the spec that the bentley says. Stripped the threads out of the aluminum. Fantastic!
Any suggestions as to how to fix this? In order to run a helicoil I would have to take the head back off.... 
This new shop must be cursed. 

I am pretty sure I have done them to this spec every time, without issue. 
The other two that I did before the middle one were fine, so I'm not quite sure.

Cams are coming back out today, head will be loosened up, oil pan will be loosened, and the front timing cover will be coming out. 
I am getting quick at top end work on 24v motors!

a5512573-210-pulling%20hair%20out%20cart

Well I guess it's a good thing that the front timing cover had to come off. Turns out the drivers side chain guide was busted and flopping about a bit. chain was clearly riding on the bolt type item that holds the guide. I intended to replace this guide anyway, so not a huge deal. Chain is fine. 
IMG_20150817_191042279_zpsa5hj5mka.jpg

To top it off, the cam decided to be a 2 piece cam. I have pulled cams many times, and have never done it any other way than the way I did it last night. It didn't make any noise, no crack, no thud, no clunk. Nothing. Just came out in two pieces. Sweet
IMG_20150817_191031150_zps5kqwz1we.jpg

In conclusion, the new shop appears to be haunted. 

Also, this.
IMG_20150814_184124862_zpsupa9t4be.jpg

Went to the junkyard yesterday after I remembered that I had pulled a M50NV valve cover from what appeared to be a good motor.
I was hoping that the cam was in good shape, or there at all. 
I got lucky, the cam was there, untouched, with the cam cover over it. It took me about 20 minutes to tear the top end down and remove the cam, tray, lifters, and bearing caps. All of the parts are in better condition than what was in my motor. 
Went up to the counter to pay for it, having no idea what they would ask for it. Ended up paying $50 for all of it. 
Ordered the gaskets and timing chain guide and a few other little bits for the motor to be put back together.
Helicoiled the front timing cover, I started with the stripped hole, then decided to do all of them because chances are they would all strip anyway. I will be starting with those bolts first anyway ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lifted e30 decided that the master cylinder for the clutch didn't want to function anymore, so that now needs to be done! It's seen 250k miles of use, impressive.
Made some mud flaps for it as well, out of some truck mudflaps that Mr. HipMF gave me. 
22617056133_871e2dc968_c.jpg22850015947_b70179a4ca_c.jpg

In news of the boosted car, I picked up a m50tu for it, and recently got around to taking the head off to inspect the bottom end. Take a look!
22876190199_f8f8bc91f2_b.jpg
See that shadow that the cylinder wall casts? Where the piston stops at the top of the bore there is a massive ridge, so that motor is toast.
Went to Racine and picked up a new toy, and m52b28 :) I took the head off of that one and the bores look almost new, very strong cross hatching and just a bit of carbon where the piston stops. I think the valve seals are bad though, due to cylinder 2 and 5 exhaust ports being very oily, and the valve stems have a bit of oil on them. I'm quite excited to have the m52 for the car, as more power is possible, and I will be pushing the limits of the motor less. 

Picture of cars during shop rearranging this weekend.
22876197909_9983d709b9_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The only cure is hitting rock bottom with a major failure, and rehab. The problem is the addiction is still there, and so are all of your old friends, begging you to back to the life style you wished you could leave. It takes over your life, and empties your bank account. You realize that there is no cure, just temporary abstinence. Turbos will consume you, and your wallet.