WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

So I actually do work on this car despite popular belief! 
I had a headliner shrinkage issue last year, or two years ago, who knows anymore.... Regardless I got tired of it, and decided to look into what adhesive would work to fix it!  3m Super 77 was my weapon of choice. 
The headliner is meant to wrap over the door "frame" and get stuck under the door gasket. Believe it or not there is a lot of tension on the headliner once it is pulled into position from a couple of years of being alive. 
I used some clamps to assist in holding the headliner while it set up. I am amazed by the can of glue, it says to let it dry to an aggressive tack after spraying it, and aggressive doesn't quite give you an idea of how sticky this stuff is. Once I let it set up and stuck the fabric to it it wasn't going anywhere. At all. Too many words, not enough pictures. Even crappy ones!
IMG_20150304_162751_945_zpsbmfvxqet.jpg
IMG_20150304_162757_328_zpskvfecfdz.jpg

So that is now taken care of! 

I also got a new oil filter housing, after my last fiasco. This one was stock, never modified, so I did what I do best! Tore it apart and started doing stuff to it. 
Drilled the ports out to tap them with a 3/8" NPT, went pretty well considering I had a 37/64ths drill bit with a corded drill, and a tap without a large enough tap handle. The adjustable wrench came in handy. 
Cleaned it up a bit and bolted her up! I love how stock it looks! Black fittings of course ;)
IMG_20150308_141214_099_zpstmoao9sh.jpg
IMG_20150308_141222_018_zpspfggbyjs.jpg
Had to take a bit of the cooling duct off of the alternator in order to get the fittings to clear. 

Waiting on my new core support, apparently it is backordered. Though BMW dealer told me there are 771 of them in Germany, and 1 in Cali. 
That is a big part of what I need to do before continuing. 

Are you going to run a thermostat somewhere in the cooler setup? I'm debating on doing this also.

The biggest advantage to the stock housing is that it has an internal thermostat! So yes, I have a thermostat.

Core support shipped! Should be here Thursday! I love that they gave me free shipping, its a 40lb box and it is large.

Fine, I'll post things.
I have never liked socket rails, its that simple. They drive me batty, so the other day at school I drew something that I thought I would like at school, and printed it. Blurry pics for the kids.
IMG_20150312_182127_875_zpsurukal5h.jpg
IMG_20150312_182102_277_zps1m9dqecy.jpg
Works like a charm, sockets slip right on and pull easily off. I am happy. 
Also finally picked up a tap and die set, and after a bit of time got all of the numbers and letters colored in! 
IMG_20150315_183037_255_zps4pddnuxp.jpg
That one was a long time in the running, expensive but worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so cool! Intercooler, oil cooler, radiator. Bam. Mounted.
IMG_20150402_213257_063_zpsf3atgi21.jpg

Diff that leaked a crap load of gear oil?!
Bam, Fixed, replaced the input shaft seal and the little cover platy guy. Spins nice and easy, and hasn't leaked at all yet! That is in the car now.
IMG_20150405_145446_640_zpshnkfpzrk.jpg

IMG_20150406_192902_614_zpsaacmxjro.jpg
Kapow! Seam sealer! I spent a lot of time with this stuff, and it ended up looking really darn good in my opinion! 
Slightly blurry shot..
IMG_20150406_192935_808_zpsxgyre5w0.jpg

Today I went and got my paint made up for the engine bay, bought all of the necessary paint things to spray the bay, and bought some other goodies. Including but not limited to; AASCO Flywheel, Strut tower brace, Aluminum throttle bushing, and some other little crap. 
I have hope!