WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

Update time, got quite a bit done in the past few days(not really) but I shall post my findings!
First off, this....
IMG_20141020_162100_961_zps34f5c633.jpg

Turns out my wastegate never got tightened to the manifold... not sure if this was me or the guy that did my exhaust, either way I cleaned it up and it will be on tight next time!

So time for a bit of backstory. I knew that this car had some sort of drivers side damage in its life, as the front drivers side fender has been replaced (by BMW) and I am finally starting to see the extent of what all happened. The bumper is new, the bumper shock on the D side is new and the sheet metal by the abs is bent from the collision. I was showering and thinking about removing my core support and needing to make new radiator mounts after removing the core support (rad mounts are part of it) and I remembered that the radiator didn't really fit because it didn't fit between the frame horns (part the bumper shock bolts too) and I got to thinking that my whole front frame work is bent. So I went to the shop and measured tims e30 and then mine, sure shit my front driver side frame horn is bent 1/4" in.... So I continue cutting the core support out, spot weld cutters are pretty cool! 
IMG_20141024_181309_595_zps9acd3688.jpg

IMG_20141024_181328_191_zpseea5a83f.jpg

IMG_20141024_181407_230_zps403b2f7e.jpg

that is the driver side where the fender meets the frame, the other side is perfectly straight, this one is bent
IMG_20141024_181420_908_zps62f15b9f.jpg
the spot weld on the front of this had been drilled already and not re welded, other side was perfect
IMG_20141024_181358_692_zps14bd57db.jpg

lower valance mount on the drivers side, bent. 
I think you see the trend. 
Played around with the bent metal near the ABS, this is what I ended up with 
IMG_20141024_204213_308_zps8de67361.jpg

A bit worse than I thought, and the rust is creeping up to other parts, luckily I can get the super rusted part new for 40 bucks shipped! 
IMG_20141024_204221_338_zps04092b2b.jpg

Rusted through on the other side too. 
Core support was rusty and bent so I ended up taking it out in a less than gentle manor
IMG_20141025_113450_365_zpse3f6a941.jpg

And the end result is pretty cool!
IMG_20141025_113443_884_zpsf9f9c31b.jpg

Now I wish I had done this sooner! Pulling the engine was so darn easy, super blurry picture of how it comes out.
IMG_20141025_130841_077_zps917b8f8b.jpg

Leaving me with this.
IMG_20141025_133907_992_zps7d3c87f8.jpg
I started stripping seam sealer after that, which is kind of a pain! 

Interesting note, the frame horn moved back over almost a 1/4" after cutting the core support out, so the core support was pretty bent. 

So, the plans. Replace all rust in the engine bay (going to be a lot of work there), get a new core support and make tabs to bolt it in to the car, and reinforce areas that it will be bolted in to, repaint bay after shaving, stitch weld all seams (seam weld the front) and for now that is all that comes to mind. 
I think I am ending up a litter deeper in this than I initially thought, but I have to learn some how! 

Alright one more then I am done. 
I took the flywheel and clutch off and noticed that there was a lot of dust, and saw that the flywheel had one hot spot on the outer edge. I am glad I took the clutch off because it turns out that the flywheel is no longer straight and wasn't touching all of the clutch disc. Will have to get that taken care of !

900hp you say? I have a hookup for a couple borg warner turbos. Both of them are .91 exhaust side t4, and either 2.8" intake or 2.5". They are s4xx turbo's. Thats about all I got on them though haha. My name is on one of the 2.8", which i will be using in my m50 e30, and I will be building the twin scroll exhaust manifold. I actually bought a whole bunch of sch 10 1 1/4 stainless to build a bunch of them. Plan on making a jig. 

No one produces twin scroll m5x e30 swap manifolds, So i plan to fill that void. 

• 3 weeks later...

Life is difficult. Decisions are hard. What todo?! 
Side note, the e36 that I got as a parts car is mint except for the fact it got hit. Playing body shop to see what I can make of it! 
Haven't done much with the E30 lately, started thinning out the engine bay harness and continuing stripping seam sealer. 
Put some Bosch projectors in the e46 with a new set of bulbs/ballasts and did the yellow high buckets. Looks good bro. Also yellow fogs. And snow tires. 
That is all.

I need to wonder around these members build threads more often. Hats off to you sir. I have pulled core supports before and its a fair amount of work getting the new one in. Welding it in straight and lined up proves to be quite the challenge when everything is tweaked a little. Luck for you, you have a car to take measurements of off. 

There is a small spot of rust on the passenger door right on the bottom edge. It is an 98 328i five speed with 144k miles, first owner had it for 124k miles and has all of the service records in the car and all of the original paperwork. i bought it to use the driveline but it is way too clean to just turn into a pile of parts. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread needs an update! Not a whole lot going on with the car with the holidays and finals going on, but I did get out there tonight and get a few things done! 
Cut back more rust :/
IMG_20141218_103619_633_zps7kkch4ej.jpg

Got a piece made up to fit in there and started tacking/grinding that smooth. It's going nicely in my opinion!
IMG_20141226_171239_810_zpsq6gq1wpi.jpg

I finally did something that I have been thinking about doing/wanted to do for a while now. I REALLY like the way it turned out!
IMG_20141226_155918_655_zpsyksllfo0.jpg
IMG_20141226_160309_001_zpspiwf563d.jpg
Did all four, and man was that a lot of work! I am oddly excited about how good that will look, and look forward to adding a touch more low.

I am happy with progression, and how things have been shaping up as of late, been having more people over to the shop to help, and a few guys that are actually sheet metal fab guys. To say the least they are good with suggestions and pointers for sheet metal work!