WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

After further looking and comparing the H4 lights with the e21 headlight buckets, it seemed like it was going to be lots of tedious work that may not even be correct. I ended up selling those lights and picking up a set of vw mk2 smoked crosshairs instead. These come with the buckets and adjusters already attached.

5fd3f3ad36da0cf7f6f8d832f9d0ac0a.jpg

Talking to a guy who has done this retrofit before, looks like just a bit of trimming on the vw bucket to fit the shape and size of e21 bucket. Then just clearance a few spots on e21 bucket and tack weld them together. Shouldn't bad. Here are some pics he sent me of what he did.

bd19d16dce2a23e0a0c4905c01a58f8f.jpg

bb38124534337f67702d5666370030c0.jpg

d00dae41710e34adac18e6029b2d04c4.jpg

My initial thought was to just trim up the vw bucket and weld on mounting tabs to bolt to existing location on core support. That would involve a lot more careful measuring that this guy's way since using the e21 buckets will position the lights correctly to fit flush with the grilles.

That's where I'm at right now with those.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Wow, guess I haven't been following this recently...

1) I dig the lights. Reminds me of all the old-school customs that used to use lucas tri-bars.

2) $700! damn. Glad I managed to get a good deal on mine. I got a super-clean one from California with an aluminum/polyurethane dogbone off of bimmerforums for $400 :)

3) Hope you put a chase nipple or something between those two handy-boxes (picture with the amputated crab and Jack Daniels bottle). It's been a while since I've picked up a code book, but I'm pretty sure that wire running through holes in a metal box in direct contact with wood is generally not acceptable. :D

8 hours ago, HipMF said:

3) Hope you put a chase nipple or something between those two handy-boxes (picture with the amputated crab and Jack Daniels bottle). It's been a while since I've picked up a code book, but I'm pretty sure that wire running through holes in a metal box in direct contact with wood is generally not acceptable. :D

I used romex for all wiring, which is acceptable to run through wood studs without EMT. Should be fine between those 2 boxes and double protected with romex through EMT everywhere else. 

Puting romex inside EMT is actually also illegal for heat-disipation reasons. Although there's an exception for verticle runs less than 6 feet in residential basements (IIRC)

Not saying that it's a problem, or that it's going to start on fire, just that it would be a code violation if you hired someone to put it in. Owner-installed electrical is usually exempt.

1 hour ago, HipMF said:

Puting romex inside EMT is actually also illegal for heat-disipation reasons. Although there's an exception for verticle runs less than 6 feet in residential basements (IIRC)

Not saying that it's a problem, or that it's going to start on fire, just that it would be a code violation if you hired someone to put it in. Owner-installed electrical is usually exempt.

Interesting. I am no electrician, but my thought process was this ... 

Both romex and THHN wire have the same temperature rating which doesnt make sense to me. Also, romex can be run in insulated walls which you'd think would be illegal for heat-dissipation reasons then too. Another reason I used romex with emt is because a) I already had the romex sitting around and b) to protect it from getting damaged due to it running along the backside of a work bench. 

Either way, I DO WHAT I WANT!!!!!!!!!

codes are there to protect us against idiots. i think they overreach into the world of personal property. i agree with bucketmouthboy, its your own damn house to do with as you please. you will probably say 'well who wants to buy a house that might be dangerous', to which I would respond A) thats what inspections are for and 2) i like to live dangerously

common sense > codes

Yes, the codes are over-reaching. Designed for worse-case scenario, with multiple failures required to kill someone or start fires... still happens amyway.

They come out with a new code book every four years and have to do something to justify their jobs, so they keep adding to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post last weekend, but I began tearing down the rear euro trailing arms to replace the wheel bearings while I had everything off the car. Well, the axle nuts proved to be a PITA for any of my hand tools and/or air impact guns, So I summoned the help of Brain (Snap) with his massive electric impact gun. With some heat, pounding with a mini sledge and the electric impact, the axle nuts proved no match. Ordered new axle nuts and cotter pins. Now the fun begins with replacing the inner & outer bearings/seals on both trailing arms. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, finding the wheel bearings for these euro trailing arms are near impossible unless you wanna spend $100 each times 4 bearings. Yeah, no! So I researched and found all the correct sizes and ordered some locally. I quickly found out after removing the old ones and pressing in the inner bearing that the company I got them from sent me the wrong size. Axle wouldn't go back in. Back story is, mibearings.com listed an SKF bearing at the correct size (which is what I ordered). Well apparently the fine print says that they may send a Timken bearing that is an equivalent to the SKF bearing instead depending what's in stock at the time. Well, they sent the Timken. The Timken is 28mm ID and the SKF that this timken is supposedly an equivalent for is 30mm (which is what I need). Doesn't sound equivalent to me.

So now I'll have to wait till they open tomorrow and give them a call and get this squared away before I can finish those up.

For the time being, I ended up making a secondary diff mount for way cheaper than any place was selling them for. I think it turned out nice. Just gotta get it over to Zack for some powdercoating to match the diff cover and press in the poly bushing.

4e0794927f72d2f3b321231444553b30.jpg

I also got the relay I've been waiting a month for to finish the hazard switch circuit for my hvac gauge cluster. It did the trick, so next is installing that in the car. As well as installing the crosshair headlights and single grilles.

Exactly! I called 123bearing.com, can't get them for another month or so. I called motion industries, can't even find the right size in their entire computer system. I called mibearings.com, they are at least letting me return the wrong bearings for a refund. So, best I could find is throigh blunttech. He found 2 in the US for $66ea. Just gotta bite the bullet and order them I guess.