WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Got the braces done for the hood project. Hoping it works as it should to hold the hood in correct shape while I fiberglass the structure underneath.

645ef32f9c34f4da37124fcf834e1ba3.jpg

Debating what to use to glue the pvc to top of hood. It has to be strong enough to hold hood to shape and also be able to be removed easily after structure is fiberglassed in underneath. Any suggestions?

I also grabbed a set of smoked turn signal lenses. They are for Euro signals, so the US housings require trimming to fit. As you can see.

168f0749f0af7705454ea0c292f87fb1.jpg

9d4e9564226f6f9f8da822388afcb090.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Well the pvc forms and hot glue seem to be working great!

4441c2b83e88626928e3b582ff2067c0.jpg

c91ed6c303b499dd85f1c8dc17f8086e.jpg

The hot glue will remove nicely too when it gets to that part. I'm taking Dan's advice and will be putting one more pvc piece on diagonal to make an N shape. I should then be able to remove from car, flip it over and glass in the actual structure.

So I got into my car this morning to do another tune run, push the start button (push button ignition) and I got absolutely nothing from starter. Everything gets power when I flip the ignition switch, but no cranking whatsoever from starter.

Battery is brand new, so that can't be the issue. All wiring I see is snug and tight. I have my start button wired up to the diagnostic port pins that go to starter and battery bus. It was the easiest way to do it at the time. I did disconnnect the wires and connected my remote test button to diag. port and still nothing. Haven't had any issues until now. Hell, it even started up just fine on monday.

Anybody have any ideas for me??

Use a screw driver to jump the posts.

Build is looking great!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am wary of that method on EFI equipped cars

I have heard horror stories of fusible links and ecus being fried from accidentally bumping the starter terminals with tools

Use a screw driver to jump the posts. Build is looking great!!

I am wary of that method on EFI equipped cars

I have heard horror stories of fusible links and ecus being fried from accidentally bumping the starter terminals with tools

Is this why none of my cars work? Lol

Well, after letting it sit for a day and the battery on a charger just for good measure, I went out there to try again. Tried to start it like normal and nothing still. Took my multimeter and checked that the main power wire going to starter had same voltage as battery, it did. I then hooked up my remote tester switch to the diag. port to test the ignition wire on the starter for 12V. Starter started cranking, didn't know car was in gear, ran over my foot, ouch!! Took it out of gear, hooked the push button back up to the diag. port like I usually have it, went inside cabin to start car, fired up no problem. 

So my conclusion is I am either looking at a starter that is starting to go out or the wiring at the diag. port is being finicky and I should find a new way to wire up my push button start. Thoughts?

I was thinking of just welding it solid, but would be nervous about it never coming off the strut studs again, lol. It's already a tight squeeze onto the studs for the plates without the bar attached to them.

It sometimes helps with install if I jack the car up from the middle of the front subframe and let everything hang lol