WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Picked up a set of single headlight grilles and buckets from great britain to hide the intercooler piping better.

11dcaca08e140cafd21364eb8a937ff3.jpg

These use the 7" round lights you find on other 80s cars, so I picked up a set of 7" H4 e codes and threw some lamin-x on them to match the blacked out grill.

4573b1fd272fec36c824269255e2acd7.jpg

7f6840686c33d02bb1886f66a75b4545.jpg

I will also be doing the relay wiring upgrade to them as well.

Today I also removed the rear end on the car in preparation for the custom e30 rear end setup I had made for it. Kind of a bear to do by yourself, but I managed.

cc2f52f8f72bcde8cbd47cbeb57b69dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy disassembling the rear end and selling off parts I don't need anymore. Including selling my e21 3.91 lsd for $700. O_______O Never thought it was worth that much until I looked up a few that have recently been sold. Threw it out there and instantly got a seller. I can't complain about that, lol. 

I removed the half shafts and looked at the one that had disconnected. 2 of the mounting bolts to the hub axle were sheared off and the rest seemed to have backed out some how. After I get my new half shafts for the e30 diff install, I will definitely be torquing to spec again, but this time using all the threadlocker I can. Time to remove the trailing arms from the old subframe, painting them and installing them onto the new modified. Along with the sway bar and poly bushings all around.

I am also in the process of making a secondary diff mount for the new unit going in. @Jeff is helping me out on the machining for that. Along with that, I just converted my Lincoln Weld Pak welder over to MIG instead of flux core since I have a ton of welding to do this winter. I am excited to use it once I get the solenoid and regulator installed.

Yeah it was a 2002 guy who bought it. They just have to use half shaft spacers and switch over the 2002 diff cover to use an e21 diff. Which is an upgrade for them. I also rebuilt it a few years back and its only got about 200 miles since then. Looks brand new from the outside honestly. But ive seen dirty/rusty e21 lsd's sell for around the same price to 2002 guys tho.

Today I got the old rear end parts completely disassembled. Next step with that is replacing the wheel bearings in the trailing arms, paint the arms and start reassembling with the new custom subframe.

I also starting installing more outlets in the workshed since I'm tired of tripping over extension cords and having to switch plugs whenever I wanna use something. Ill be putting an outlet in garage too on other side of wall. Cleaning and organizing comes next.

f63ff00cae31a151ad012acecb35e3e8.jpg

ddd0ede6e1eaf06d25de87244a8f9419.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk