WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 Project Thread - Part 2

Bassboy3313

Central locking kit should be here today.

Got the rear percel shelf and rear seat belts removed. Also started laying down the carpet underlayment/soundproofing/heatproofing in prep for the new carpet set.

exhaust is rubbing on the e30 driveshaft a tad, so in process of putting a new exhaust hanger on to move it slightly. Then just need new muffler hangers for that.

Started laying out where the aerocatch hood latches will be installed as well as reinforcing the fiberglass hood. Hood is pretty flimsy and flexes a lot. I want to stiffen it up a bit without adding too much weight.

Had the car idling this weekend and found oil leaking at turbo. Seems that the bolts holding the center section to the turbine housing loosened up. Tightened the ones I could reach easily and trying to figure out how to tighten the last bolt that is a bugger to get to.

maybe i missed it, whats the deal with the carpet set? does the e21 not have a single floor pan piece or do you have to connect these together somehow? your talking about glue, do they get glued to the sheet metal?

I believe these get glued right to the sheet metal. Maybe his came in pieces for sale of delivery?

Mine came as a whole and was rolled up. Had to pop it into shape and leave it on the heat for a bit

maybe i missed it, whats the deal with the carpet set? does the e21 not have a single floor pan piece or do you have to connect these together somehow? your talking about glue, do they get glued to the sheet metal?

Not too many companies make the molded carpet sets. They are pricey to ship and a bitch to install. A BF member named Esty makes these pieces carpet sets for E21s and 2002s out of OEM style carpet. Better quality and easier install. And yes, they get glued directly to sheet metal. Or, like I'm doing is placing a foil backed soundproof/heat proofing padding down first and gluing the carpet to that.

Got the exhaust rubbing fixed as well as the Muffler rehung. I then finished applying the sound/heat proofing padding before the carpet goes in.

3ebcff1925a16fba6bafda12ccfbf0fb.jpg

3b82f48d7ae8e2ff57982a3d2f708f47.jpg

After that, I took the door panels off and was surprised to see power door actuators already installed. The wires were cut, so they were inoperable. I removed the old ones and installed the new ones in their place. Wired it up and tested them. Seems to have issues unlocking once locked. I kept the old arm pieces that connect to door lock pins, so I'm assuming something with that is binding. Who knows! Which may explain why previous owner disconnected the actuators in first place.

Thanks!

Well the keyless door locks work great now. Took out the push rods that the previous owner put in and used the new ones from my kit. Routed them better for my setup and now they lock and unlock great. I'd like to figure something out for the trunk with one of the spare actuators, bit not sure how I'd do it. Just an idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my $.02, but I think that most of the time big brake upgrades are pointless. The stock brakes are more than capable of locking up the wheels, even with stickier tires. The only reason to upgrade would be if you're experiencing brake fade due to excessive heat build up. This could certainly happen if you're driving the car hard, since you're likely to be making 2-to-3 times the car's stock power. More power to go means you need to dissipate more power (heat) to stop. If you're accelerating, then braking hard, the accelerating and braking again, or driving fast downhill, you could certainly get the stock brakes heated up. Sadly, most Wisconsin roads are pretty straight, and don't encourage that type of driving.

On the other hand....there's not really such a thing as "too much brakes"...

• 4 weeks later...

The lack of nice weather the past few weeks left me unmotivated to get out in garage. The past few days with nicer weather has broight it back.

Here is the new carpet so far.

bdc4f8f239627b7a65bcdea63d885e37.jpg

d04eab795dfb86fb9230f18dcf013d1e.jpg

6fbc68dcc4e9d20d22b1ded93843a0e1.jpg

Will have it done with seats in it this weekend for sure. Then on to turbo things again.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

So it looks like my turbo is leaking oil from the center section. Although i cant find where. There is an exhaust leak at the turbo to manifold flange as well that smoke comes out. I see oil trickling near 2 turbo to manifold bolts, but no oil at the turbo center section bolts. So its kinda puzzling.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

68111544ddb1b2713773b5d80074edad.jpg

Here is a thing to appreciate:

This car underwent both an engine swap AND received turbocharging. Minus a couple electrical issues (fuel pump power signal and an incorrect main relay in the e30 harness) the thing starts up, runs and drives nearly flawlessly.

I will be so lucky if I get my crap back together and have such minimal screwing around to do after it runs.

We did about 5 miles or so with no hood/lights. Quite surprised we didnt cross paths with any local law enforcement honestly.

Had it up to 5500rpm, car makes all 8psi of boost that its supposed to, scoots real nice even though most accelerations were part throttle. This "smaller" t3 turbo provides much more linear power than my t3/t4.

Super excited to see all this effort moving down the road now

ac31513d655e57ae0163f647e397be21.jpg