WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

I saw the CL ad when it was first listed as well. Looks like a good deal,and cheaper than I would expect if the only negatives are in fact the ones listed.

I'm probably missing something but was just wondering why a PO would do the build listed in the advert on an e36 325i sedan? Couldn't have been cheap with the parts list (esp the rebuilt head and cams) and 30k on the build suggests fairly recent. So steps towards building an e36 to close the gap with an e36 m3 when for the price could have bought an e36 m3? Or are the m3s in decent shape now unobtanium? Like I said, I'm probably missing something.     

51 minutes ago, Boris3 said:

I saw the CL ad when it was first listed as well. Looks like a good deal,and cheaper than I would expect if the only negatives are in fact the ones listed.

I'm probably missing something but was just wondering why a PO would do the build listed in the advert on an e36 325i sedan? Couldn't have been cheap with the parts list (esp the rebuilt head and cams) and 30k on the build suggests fairly recent. So steps towards building an e36 to close the gap with an e36 m3 when for the price could have bought an e36 m3? Or are the m3s in decent shape now unobtanium? Like I said, I'm probably missing something.     

Personal attachment could have something to do with it. 1992 would also be a non-VANOS M50, which is desirable to some people. 1992 325i sedan was also the lightest 6-cylinder E36, IIRC. But overall yeah, that's a LOT of effort into a non-M. E36 M3s are actually at the bottom of the depreciation curve right now and not too hard to find.

13 minutes ago, pointofdeparture said:

Personal attachment could have something to do with it. 1992 would also be a non-VANOS M50, which is desirable to some people. 1992 325i sedan was also the lightest 6-cylinder E36, IIRC. But overall yeah, that's a LOT of effort into a non-M. E36 M3s are actually at the bottom of the depreciation curve right now and not too hard to find.

E36 M3 prices are actually on their way up for clean examples.  The days of buying a nice, low mileage example for less than $5k-$8k are nearly gone.  The curve bottomed out about 2-4 years ago.  

Probably is. Google searching the tag line calls up a Washington DC CL (and a Claz listing for Bryans Road Maryland) listing from June 12 for the same car for $4890, but no details. Location would make sense since Martin Motorsports that works on BMW is in Virginia, unless there is something more local?  Nothing comes up on Search Tempest.

I know the kid who is selling those. That is the e36 that I had posted last year for the guy I work with. My friend bought it two months ago but the clutch won't hold when trying to do a burnout so he was disappointed. The clutch feels nice and grabby but anytime you try to spin the tires it roasts the clutch.