WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

Hahaha it's fine, we both look a bit silly now.  I ran through a list of engines BMW made after you posted and somehow concluded that there was no way that any of the other ones could have a belt  even after checking a few that I thought were questionable, like the M30 and M42.  

I totally thought the m30 had a timing belt, guess I learned something today

For saying this, you are no longer allowed to buy any M20 replacement parts for your 528e, you are only allowed to order M21 parts. Good Luck!

Fine with me, factory turbo kit!

I totally thought the m30 had a timing belt, guess I learned something today

Its pretty much the sole reason for ETA hatred in the E28 community

Leaving at 6 to check this beast out.  I will bring my dealer reset tool ;)

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/cto/4794383332.html

It was garbage.  He would let it go for 300 but I think the ECU is fried, he wasn't telling the whole story about what happened, claims he replaced the battery and it wouldn't start right away.  It cranks strong but no spark and no fuel pump, not even the 5 second prime when the key is turned to run.  Would hooking up battery backwards fry it?  Not sure but the fuel pump works fine when the relay is jumpered.  I did not test jumpering the engine control module relay, it is also controlled by the ECU.  I am not sure the sequence of operation as to when that should close.  Unless the problem is that relay I would deduce that the ECU is no good. 

Overall the car was maybe a 2/10.  Rockers made of spray foam and bondo, floor peeling away the seam to the rocker.  Bald tires, rip in driver seat, etc.  Not worth 300 even.

It was garbage.  He would let it go for 300 but I think the ECU is fried, he wasn't telling the whole story about what happened, claims he replaced the battery and it wouldn't start right away.  It cranks strong but no spark and no fuel pump, not even the 5 second prime when the key is turned to run.  Would hooking up battery backwards fry it?  Not sure but the fuel pump works fine when the relay is jumpered.  I did not test jumpering the engine control module relay, it is also controlled by the ECU.  I am not sure the sequence of operation as to when that should close.  Unless the problem is that relay I would deduce that the ECU is no good. 

Overall the car was maybe a 2/10.  Rockers made of spray foam and bondo, floor peeling away the seam to the rocker.  Bald tires, rip in driver seat, etc.  Not worth 300 even.

Thanks for posting about this one. I came across it while searching for M42s. Don't know anything about the anti-theft systems, but I figured it would be easy to reset. If it was a runner I would be interested in it for the motor. I don't have any way of moving non-running cars :/

Thanks for posting about this one. I came across it while searching for M42s. Don't know anything about the anti-theft systems, but I figured it would be easy to reset. If it was a runner I would be interested in it for the motor. I don't have any way of moving non-running cars :/

I would pass even on it even for the engine, it did not look well taken care of.  Electrical tape on the spark plug wires, very dirty, and inside the valve cover looked like oil changes were not a priority. 

The "anti theft" is just a relay above the drivers left knee, pull the relay and put a jumper in to bypass.  Pretty high tech.