WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Sooper Do'per trooper

Drgt5683

I wasn't speeding but next time he mite get a run for with my money.They got nothing better to do than to pull you over for excessive tint...,Really that's what your worried about ,my tint? ...wow, I just don't understand the real duty of a police officer these days I ges ...when they know dam well I can see out the windows or I wouldn't be driving the car, any opinions on what I should do? Just leave them or try a lighter color or no tint ..any suggestions thanks 

cost me 10$ no insurance card with me..

Next time I better roll my windows down quickly as I spot one ,continue driving like I can't see him cause my windows are tinted or just punch it lmao

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4075.PNG

They have a little sensor that they put up next to the window and it measures how much light is being blocked. I may have had a run-in with the 5-0 on this before. 

When I was told I need to remove the tint I just said "ok but so you know I'm just going to install new tint again next week." Cop said "well that's your decision to make". And so I got new tint installed and moved on. Have only ever had that problem once in all the years I've been driving cars with tint...so...nearly 18 years. Small price to pay IMO. 

I guess I don't know what options you're looking for - you don't have any other options - you have to take the car to the police station to have an officer inspect the car and sign off on the fact that you have legal tint, which you currently do not. You are going to have to strip the tint in the next 10 days (or at least that's what it was the last time I got an equipment violation notice). 

It's an unfortunate part of the game. 

I had super dark tint on my e36 when I bought it and hated it. It's not impossible to remove by yourself but it's definitely time consuming. I used a garment steamer to slowly heat the glue and peel the tint away, making sure not to separate the layers of the tint as that makes it quite a bit harder. Newer tint should be easier to remove than old brittle tint like my car had. I only used razor blades to get the peel started, avoid using them or other scraping tools on the back window as you can/will damage your defrost/antenna. Any excess glue can be cleaned with ammonia pretty easily. That's a real bummer though

3 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Never received a ticket or paper warning for tint. I usually roll both front windows all the way down when I'm getting pulled over. Then again they usually don't care if it's only 40 %

I've never gotten a ticket for excessive speeding but if I was caught doing it I sure expect one lol. I do agree that tint tickets are somewhat shady but they need to make money somehow. Your windows do look pretty dark to me. However, I am a fishbowl kind-of-guy so that doesn't have much weight

Suck it up and accept the penalties.  I liken this to driving with no front plate.  I know it's illegal and yet I do it anyways.  I have been hassled for it and at that time I put a plate on, get the ticket dropped and take the plate back off.  That's just part of living like a badass.  You accept it and move on.

From my experience with tint tickets is that they pull you over for something else and tack the tint ticket onto it. So, it looks like to me that they pulled you over for the tinted license plate cover (which is definitely illegal since it hides your plate). Then while they had you, they tacked on the window tint too. Just my .02 point of view I guess. 

If you're in the Menasha area, was that Trooper Honish?

I've been pulled over by him twice. Once he wrote me a ticket for no front plate with warnings for exhaust and window tint. The next time he wrote a ticket for window tint and warning for exhaust and no front plate. Both times I just paid the ticket and left the car as-is. I recently bought a tow hook license plate holder that I'll install if I get another ticket. Show up to court with it on the car and ask for the ticket to be dropped.

I've been stopped for tint 3 times and for no front plate 4 times, all while going the speed limit with no other reason to be stopped. So stupid.

I asked my eye doctor two weeks ago for a "tint allowance" prescription, but he didn't want anything of it. I said I get headaches when I'm in bright areas for too long but he said it was something I'd have to talk to my actual doctor about. Usually I try to roll both front windows down if I see a cop or when I'm pulled over. And my tint isn't even that dark...

I got pulled over for no front plate a couple years ago in the Maxima.  The cop was ridiculous too, asking if I had been drinking at 3pm on my way home from apprenticeship class.  I put a front plate on that but never had one on my e36 and still don't have a front plate on my LandCruiser.  It would mess up my classy chrome bumper so I take the risk.  In the LandCruiser I have been pulled over near home for not having any tail lights and nothing was mentioned about the front plate.  Small town cops here are great.  He just suggested I drive with my hazards on because I had no tail lights. 

• 3 weeks later...