WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

How do you buy your parts?

YoungCR

Parts Purchases  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Used or New?

• I only buy new
    • I only buy used
    • I try to buy new but if unavailable I get used parts.
    • I try to buy used but if unavailable I get new parts.
  2. 2. What kind of new parts do you buy?

• BMW OEM
    • OEM Manufacturer (Same part without BMW label such as febi bilstein)
    • Aftermarket Replacement/Equivalent (Upgrade over OEM such as Ireland Engineering)
    • Aftermarket parts (Advance Auto, O'Reilly's)
    • I don't buy new parts
  3. 3. Where do you shop for parts?

• I typically buy from the same seller
    • I buy from different sellers
  4. 4. Do you choose your seller based on price?

• Yes
    • No

Doing a little survey as I'm interested in how people go about buying parts for their cars. Figured this would make for a good discussion topic too. What are your favorite sellers and why?

I've generally bought parts from Bav Auto, Blunt Tech and Rock Auto. Bav Auto was great when I bought parts for my first 528e as they have a lot of kits for doing common repairs/maintenance. I then found out how awesome Steve at Blunt Tech is to deal with and have used him for my last couple orders. I'll use rock auto for alternators/starters/brakes but I always choose the name brands/oem manufacturer as their prices are still hard to beat on the "expensive" stuff. I don't believe in cheap parts unless its a temporary fix.

E30 maintenance and other parts if I'm buying new: Guten Parts, Pelican, BluntTech, Bimmerworld, and in the past from Turner Motorsports, Bimmerzone, Mueller Motorwerks, Autohaus az, Bavarian Autosport

Specialty parts/fluids: Pegasus Racing, AKG Motorsport, RaceSkids, Red46, VAC Motorsports, Apex Performance

I almost always go with ECS Tuning for the compact. Their prices for OEM parts are hard to beat most of the time for what I need. For example, it is $124 shipped from them for all new hardware for the entire front suspension of an e36 (realoem is the shit)but when I sent the list of parts to concourse they wanted around $185.

Rockauto gets my business when I need things like my caliper rebuild kits or fog deletes. Their fog deletes are only $5 a piece. Anywhere else you can plan on a good chunk more than that.

OEM stuff I order through thebmwpartstore.com if I find a cheaper price else where, they will always match it. Bought a window motor from them and stop working within a month. They replaced it with no questions ask.

Others that I use; bavauto, pelican parts, auto haus, Turner, and BW. Used ECS once and had problems with them. 

I actually used to buy a lot of stuff from fap99.com. More times than not I have found that it has the lowest price on OEM brand stuff. 

Partsgeek is also very good for prices. 

The owner of Fap99 is a really good guy, familiar with BMW stuff, and gives shipping refunds on small items. They are based out of Michigan so standard shipping on things can be very fast.

im okay with buying used items (such as a power steering pump or alternator) if the price differential between new and used is great enough.

The time that im NOT okay with el cheapo parts or used parts is on things that you dont want to have to replace more than once, such as engine and trans seals, clutch, slave cyl, CSB, flex disk, head gasket

AH! thats another thing I would like to know. LOCAL places. I'm a big fan of getting everything done local. Some of course, cannot be sourced locally, but I'm a guy who likes their parts to come in a day or a couple of hours of a drive because I normally only have the weekends to work on my cars. 

Anyone have any good salvage yards they like with REASONABLE prices??

I know this isn't helpful for you but Schmidt's in Waunakee has always sold me parts a great prices. The more I buy, the better the price. I've heard the yard has gone downhill in the last couple years though. I'd like to try some of the new u-pull yards that have sprung up in Milwaukee as its handy for getting trim pieces and other odds and ends. 

I use Advance Auto for most basic repair items such as alternators, starters, gasket sets, etc.  I get parts at cost through them.  Carquest is great as well because they have access to Worldpac which can supply most any OEM parts you need.  Any OEM part numbers I order from ECS or Turner Motorsports.  I have done a lot of business with Turner Motorsports and I am always impressed with the level of customer service I receive.  My dad is not very internet savvy and prefers to call in orders so I gave him the name of the rep I use at Turner.  My dad has been very impressed and they have been able to help him get the right parts and even answer some basic questions for him such as recommended oil and such.

Pegasus Racing basically has their mortgage paid by the Dr., Gluten, blunt, then Concours (I still get it for cost!) CarQuest for the domestics as I get parts for cost there as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I loved Pegasus Racing when I had my 240sx.  Any random lines, hoses, fittings, bolts, gaskets, etc that I needed and they were always available to help.

then Concours (I still get it for cost!)

I've been meaning to text you this question, cause this means I still got the in too :D I'd like to try out some of these other vendors when I got on a parts shopping spree this summer. Thanks for all your input guys!