WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Good to see some other gun dudes here! 

I'm thinking of picking up a PSA AR 15, right now the complete package is $499 and it looks to be a good starter kit. Or, I could go buy a higher end gun in a store locally but spend an additional $100-150. However, it seems like there's not much difference between the PSA vs the $700 guns. It doesn't have a forward assist or dust cover, but I'm not sure how important either of those really are, I'm not a rifle guy....

Right now I carry a Glock 21 for work, I'm selling my black/gold Bersa Thunder .380, and I'll likely be picking up a small 9mm compact Glock for CCW and then an HK VP9 as a fun/target pistol for range days.

Didn't you just buy your Bersa?  What happened to Ryan Bond?

I spent a lot of time playing around with it and shooting it, shoots great, feels great, but unfortunately it's messing with my muscle memory. I was doing some shooting drills for work a couple days ago, and after drawing my Glock I started fumbling with it, looking for the safety on the slide where the Bersa's is...... No me gusta. It took me about 2 seconds to realize my duty weapon has no safety, and should that happen in real life I'd likely be dead. So, as cool as it looks, it's gotta go.

Anybody here have an AR15?

How many do you need?

I'm looking at something for concealed carry.  XDS .45 is looking pretty sexy.

I carry a Kahr CW45 (.45 acp). I'm quite proficient with it, conceals very easily and it's light. It's NOT comfortable to shoot a lot of rounds through, but when (if) I need to use it in a real life situation, I don't think that will matter one bit. The reason it is uncomfortable is the grip bites into the palm of your hand, but that fact adds to the controllability of it and thus my accuracy with it. I carry with either my Remora holster or my Crossbreed supertuck.

Good to see some other gun dudes here! 

I'm thinking of picking up a PSA AR 15, right now the complete package is $499 and it looks to be a good starter kit. Or, I could go buy a higher end gun in a store locally but spend an additional $100-150. However, it seems like there's not much difference between the PSA vs the $700 guns. It doesn't have a forward assist or dust cover, but I'm not sure how important either of those really are, I'm not a rifle guy....

Like some things in life, ARs are one where you get what you pay for. The best deal I've found for the money is a Ruger SR-556 Carbine. That's my current AR-15. It has a lot of features for the price, and damn reliable. It's piston driven, and the best part is, the orifice has 4 settings: big, medium, small and off. Off makes it into a single-shot rifle. You use the others to cycle the weapon reliably depending on the ammo you are currently running.

I sold my Panther Arms "Sportacle" for about 30% more than I paid after Sandy Hook. It was damn unreliable... Lowers may all have the same design, but they are not all created equal.

Then bought my Ruger at a very reasonable price after the dust settled. Don't go cheap on an AR-15. You'll likely regret it...

Like some things in life, ARs are one where you get what you pay for. The best deal I've found for the money is a Ruger SR-556 Carbine. That's my current AR-15. It has a lot of features for the price, and damn reliable. It's piston driven, and the best part is, the orifice has 4 settings: big, medium, small and off. Off makes it into a single-shot rifle. You use the others to cycle the weapon reliably depending on the ammo you are currently running.

I sold my Panther Arms "Sportacle" for about 30% more than I paid after Sandy Hook. It was damn unreliable... Lowers may all have the same design, but they are not all created equal.

Then bought my Ruger at a very reasonable price after the dust settled. Don't go cheap on an AR-15. You'll likely regret it...

I'm potentially grabbing a Bushmaster Carbon 15 tonight or tomorrow, seems like a better overall package than the PSA stuff.