WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Now you gotta explain yourself lol. Ill be building the turbo manifold(m20 is by far easier, just a simple adapter) and Ill be doing standalone ms2. And with the 24v ill have to do something about the compression ratio for pump gas. I don't want to redue all the timing and stuff, so head studs plus meth injection will be it for the  first round. 

Now you gotta explain yourself lol. Ill be building the turbo manifold(m20 is by far easier, just a simple adapter) and Ill be doing standalone ms2. And with the 24v ill have to do something about the compression ratio for pump gas. I don't want to redue all the timing and stuff, so head studs plus meth injection will be it for the  first round. 

this is for earl

I have seen plenty of turbo m50 cars running pump gas with nothing special done for compression. 

Ask Snap how much fun it was to put together his turbo setup and then ask people who have turboed M5x/S5x motors. 

If you think of it, the m50 breathes better and makes more power out of the box. That means you would need to run less boost to reach your power goals with an m50 versus an m20. If you chose to do a vanos motor that helps you even more=) 

Boosting stock compression on the m50 isn't an issue either.  If someones looking to run in the 400+ range then they are lowering compression to a more suitable 8.5 or 9 but for an m50 running 10:1 on 8psi is not a problem to easily make 350whp.

Why do you keep talking about adding meth?

Okay so I have a holset turbo with t3 exhaust side split pulse that I will be using. I will need to run 15psi+ as it wont be efficient below that. I will definitely have a twin scroll manifold. 

I am talking about adding meth because I'm not going to use a headgasket spacer, and I'm not going to use forged pistons. This will take care of the compression ratio issue. This will only be a 300$ endeavor though, so its not terrible. 

Okay so I think I might just do 24v, simply because I have the entire swap sitting in my garage..... and I'm getting sick of trying to find an m20 motor for a reasonable cost for reasonable miles. 

So I guess that means its time to get used to the timing and O ring the block/change the head gasket? 

I'm guessing the head gasket/timing stuff will cost me close to 300$ for the materials? I already have the bolts I'm going to use, and I will O ring the block with SS welding wire I have. 

Anyone think I should mill down the stock pistons to lower compression at all?

So I guess that means its time to get used to the timing and O ring the block/change the head gasket? 

Pulled the head (including headers) off of Tim's s52 in under an hour and a half lol. Its not too bad. 

Love having to pull heads after realizing that the engine ate the pintle caps off of the injectors lol, but on a side note it appears to have solid lifters as well?

Can't wait till it is tuned well and can get some cars lined up and see what it really does!

Back to your turbo talk, though I feel like I should have chimed in at some point.

24v for life!

Pulled the head (including headers) off of Tim's s52 in under an hour and a half lol. Its not too bad. 

Love having to pull heads after realizing that the engine ate the pintle caps off of the injectors lol, but on a side note it appears to have solid lifters as well?

Can't wait till it is tuned well and can get some cars lined up and see what it really does!

Back to your turbo talk, though I feel like I should have chimed in at some point.

24v for life!

Hey not bad! But on an m20, you are only out, probably 30-40 minutes and you don't need to make the manifold off lol. 

But the big thing, how long for you to put it back together timed? 

I think I'm just being a baby because I haven't done an m5x, but I did a VW vr6 with a timing when i was 17 and retarded with mechanics, so i probably shouldn't be uncomfortable. 

Actually I was just thinking about this yesterday and wondering how many castings it would require to end up with a usable part. 

Billet alum sir! 

Blah. Trucks. 

I got a restored E21, and a motorcycle...so why would I get another car? Cars are only good for commuting. Every time I need any actual work done I have to borrow my friends truck. Trucks are very useful. Well. Unless you get a gas truck. Then I guess you can enjoy picking up groceries with ease.

Oh yeah - and.... "Turbo 400whp" and "daily" are missing the other keyword always associated with them:

"Broke"

Well... 2 words:

"Shits Broke"

Okay... 3 words:

"Shits Always Broke"

Forget it... More like:

"You're gonna blow up diffs, clutches, driveline pieces, motor parts, gaskets-ga-friggen-lore, and countless other parts until you sell it for next to nothing and buy a biege Camry... And Shits. Always. Broke."

I think you are being very over dramatic. There are many examples of turbo e30s at over 400whp that have been reliable for a long time. And there are many 24v's past 400whp. Probably twice as many 500whp 24v's then 400whp m20's. But really, putting down anything past 400whp is hard in an e30. 

But i think the biggest reason for me going 24v, is that my car didn't come with an m20b25, and that I can't find one for a reasonable price that I don't have to rebuild, and that I already have the whole 24v swap. 

I'm going to try to cut up the stock exhaust manifolds and add 2" v bands for an adapter piece? I think it might work. 

I think you are being very over dramatic.

Nope. The last guy I knew who even thought about going this route had his car burst into flames the second he bought his first turbo related parts. Another guy bought an old Toyota minivan and mutters to himself about injector impedence v.s. load charges in MS - all while watching his clutch slip like a 90 yr old lady on her way into church after an ice storm.

Nope. The last guy I knew who even thought about going this route had his car burst into flames the second he bought his first turbo related parts. Another guy bought an old Toyota minivan and mutters to himself about injector impedence v.s. load charges in MS - all while watching his clutch slip like a 90 yr old lady on her way into church after an ice storm.

No doubt 400 whp is achievable going either route - and it would likely run great.... For awhile. I've just watched too many budget minded turbo builds infuriate people due to breaking parts and wallets on a regular basis. I stand by the "build in right - build it once" mentality. If you want 400 whp in a daily, build it to handle 600 whp and resist the urge to up the boost.

Maybe I'm alittle too caught up on the "daily" part of this though - IDK. Remove that word and I say go for it.

For a max effort 24v build I would shoot for over 600whp on the stock block anyways! m20 would be about 400whp, so I think 24v makes sense

The whole daily thing- I want this car so I can beat on it all the time, with relatively full interior, thats street legal. Or at least close enough not to get pulled over all the time

I have other cars to drive so its not like if it breaks down its a real problem. I bought this car because I want a backup car, thats dead nuts, a lot of fun, and cheap, which I'm very confident I can make happen. 

I was about 2 seconds away from buying entirely too much stuff for my wrx, and I didn't want that to be broken all the time, when I actually need it haha. Id rather leave it stock, and have much more fun, with less money, with a bmw. I want a car I can drive 365 days a year! Someday when I have like 10k to blow Ill build the wrx