WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Nope. The last guy I knew who even thought about going this route had his car burst into flames the second he bought his first turbo related parts. Another guy bought an old Toyota minivan and mutters to himself about injector impedence v.s. load charges in MS - all while watching his clutch slip like a 90 yr old lady on her way into church after an ice storm.

No doubt 400 whp is achievable going either route - and it would likely run great.... For awhile. I've just watched too many budget minded turbo builds infuriate people due to breaking parts and wallets on a regular basis. I stand by the "build in right - build it once" mentality. If you want 400 whp in a daily, build it to handle 600 whp and resist the urge to up the boost.

Maybe I'm alittle too caught up on the "daily" part of this though - IDK. Remove that word and I say go for it.

There is no reason not to be budget minded. I'm not going to buy a motec JUST because its the best, I'm going to buy a 200$ because it WORKS. Same reason I have a holset. I bought it because its dead nuts reliable, its cheap, and it works awesome. no reason for a Garrett counterpart, and I'm not putting BB on a daily beater. I mean, I'm going to be building a sch 10 stainless manifold fully back purged and tig welded, And i have a southbend stage 5 clutch and JB chromo flywheel, gotta buy 60lb injectors or whatever, i have ms2, electronic boost control, bosch 044 surge tank, of course I will use quality fittings and such, and an intercooler from ebay isn't going to make it unreliable. O ring'ed 24v with stock gasket and holokrome head bolts. 

And I'm going to take a shot at building a wastegate. The guys at my work do, but they charge nearly 1000$ for just one wastegate... Butterfly valve not a stupid poppet style. 

Get some obd2 ex manifolds, they are tubular stainless rather than the cast obd1 probably an easier start for a custom manifold. Sent from my potato phone

Know of anyone with them? I was thinking the same, but sometimes when You can't identify the type of stainless it kind of a pita, but I'm sure I can figure something out. 

O ring'ed 24v with stock gasket and holokrome head bolts.

This is what I mean by budget oriented - not the other stuff. (Personal opinion:) I just don't agree with the "it'll be fine - tons of people have/do it!" When it comes to using a stock internals block/head with a turbo'd daily car.

However - I see what we consider a "daily" car is quite different.

You're one of those guys.......oh well.

What do you mean? I just thing gas trucks are kinda gay. I used to use my parents suburban for towing. But compared to my friends duramax. It sucks ass. I mean. Unless you like listening to that 350 struggle to tow 5000lbs on flat land. The newer gas motors are a lot better. They have come a long way and at the same time. All the emission laws have ruined new diesels. So if my arm was being twisted and I was forced to buy something 2006 and newer. I'd get a 6.2 vortec 2500/3500.

What do you mean? I just thing gas trucks are kinda gay. I used to use my parents suburban for towing. But compared to my friends duramax. It sucks ass. I mean. Unless you like listening to that 350 struggle to tow 5000lbs on flat land. The newer gas motors are a lot better. They have come a long way and at the same time. All the emission laws have ruined new diesels. So if my arm was being twisted and I was forced to buy something 2006 and newer. I'd get a 6.2 vortec 2500/3500.

Exactly what I thought.  You do realize there are other uses for trucks than hauling fifth wheels over 100,000lbs, right?  Uses that legitimately require the size and power of a truck, but not the grunt of diesel.

In your world, there would only be full size diesel duallys and compact cars, correct?  So, if I wanted to get a sheet of plywood, or pick up a set of wheels, I would have to own and operate my 50k+ diesel dually to do it, right?

I pulled plenty with my gas trucks.  I pulled a huge enclosed racecar trailer, and had more power than I knew what to do with, granted, I'm not denying a diesel wouldn't have done better, but on the other 6 days of the week when I wasn't pulling the trailer it would have been completely overkill.

I don't understand the mentality of diesel guys thinking that the truck must be pulling something at all times.  When you go buy your diesel, how will you get it home?  Will you have another diesel truck bring a spare trailer so you can hook it up before you drive it home?  If you don't you risk some douche bag making fun of your grocery getter truck and telling you to get it dirty and haul something.  

I've been told by many people that I don't even own a truck because it's not a heavy duty or a diesel.  I just don't understand I guess.

My dad owns a small painting business and a truck is a necessity of life for him.  It constantly is loaded with paint buckets, compressors, scaffolding, etc and has pulled open and enclosed trailers, car haulers, boats and more.  It is a 2004 F150 with a 5.4, prior to this was a 1999 F150 with a 4.6 and before that was a 1994 F150 with a 5.0... The extra cost associated with a diesel just doesn't make sense when he can accomplish everything he needs with a gas truck.

He just put his order in for a 2015 F150 with the coyote 5.0 and will take delivery in March which will work just fine for everything he does and still be cheaper to own and maintain than a diesel.

P.S.  All of his trucks have turned over 200k on original drivetrains including the 04 which just clicked over 200k over thanksgiving.

Exactly what I thought. You do realize there are other uses for trucks than hauling fifth wheels over 100,000lbs, right? Uses that legitimately require the size and power of a truck, but not the grunt of diesel.

In your world, there would only be full size diesel duallys and compact cars, correct? So, if I wanted to get a sheet of plywood, or pick up a set of wheels, I would have to own and operate my 50k+ diesel dually to do it, right?

I pulled plenty with my gas trucks. I pulled a huge enclosed racecar trailer, and had more power than I knew what to do with, granted, I'm not denying a diesel wouldn't have done better, but on the other 6 days of the week when I wasn't pulling the trailer it would have been completely overkill.

I don't understand the mentality of diesel guys thinking that the truck must be pulling something at all times. When you go buy your diesel, how will you get it home? Will you have another diesel truck bring a spare trailer so you can hook it up before you drive it home? If you don't you risk some douche bag making fun of your grocery getter truck and telling you to get it dirty and haul something.

I've been told by many people that I don't even own a truck because it's not a heavy duty or a diesel. I just don't understand I guess.

I get the same thing with my motorcycle. I purchased a Ninja 300 this year. Everyone and there mother that I meet tells me it's not a sport bike. Even though the insurance company says it is and that is what Ninja classifies it as. Sorry it only does 108 and not 150+. I didn't realize that by owning a motorcycle that means I am going 150 everywhere I go.

A 6.0/6.2 vortec 2500 would make a great towing truck. I know 2 guys with them.

I know why I dislike most gas trucks. It is because the companies that make them suck. The only good one IMO is GM. Ford's new ecoboost is looking really solid and nice. But dodge is still behind in the game.

P.S. I hate dually's. No real residential purpose for them.

My dad owns a small painting business and a truck is a necessity of life for him.  It constantly is loaded with paint buckets, compressors, scaffolding, etc and has pulled open and enclosed trailers, car haulers, boats and more.  It is a 2004 F150 with a 5.4, prior to this was a 1999 F150 with a 4.6 and before that was a 1994 F150 with a 5.0... The extra cost associated with a diesel just doesn't make sense when he can accomplish everything he needs with a gas truck.

He just put his order in for a 2015 F150 with the coyote 5.0 and will take delivery in March which will work just fine for everything he does and still be cheaper to own and maintain than a diesel.

P.S.  All of his trucks have turned over 200k on original drivetrains including the 04 which just clicked over 200k over thanksgiving.

Just curious. Is there a reason he went with the 5.0 instead of the 3.5 ecoboost?

I wouldn't have gotten a diesel either if it's just going to do light duty work.

This is what I mean by budget oriented - not the other stuff. (Personal opinion:) I just don't agree with the "it'll be fine - tons of people have/do it!" When it comes to using a stock internals block/head with a turbo'd daily car.

However - I see what we consider a "daily" car is quite different.

Whats wrong with o rings on stock headgasket? By far proven lol. Honestly most of the high dollar builds use the same method, but of course with forged internals.  

And isn't that how internet knowledge is turned into facts? It gets proven in the real world? What else do you base your judgement on? Do you do ALL of the testing on your own, and conclude from there?

One thing I would like to cover, I think diesel has its purpose, but solely on LONG hauls. If you are hauling stuff all over the country, or haul trailers on a daily basis more than like, 50 miles, I would say it would be a good call.

Otherwise, you really don't need the power to pull around much. I mean, what the hell are you pulling that you would need a diesel? My dad bought a dually flat bed isuza for 24k brand new in 2005 i think, and it has a 6.0/6.2(not sure which) LSX motor with a th400 trans, and it has 90k on it currently, and we have barely done any work to it. 

My dad was a landscaping/contruction guy so it was a work truck, and it was definitely worked. the two times a month where he needed to haul the skid(13000lbs) plus the 5000lb trailer, it did not have a problem. Sure its not like it hauled ass, but there is plenty of power to pull it. All of this was most of the time within a 50 mile radius. 

There was no reason to pay the extra 8k for the diesel. And the added operating costs. 

I personally believe in having multiple vehicles with each of them having a good purpose(not all around okay cars). 

But dude if you are only hauling your e21 to the race track or within the state, no sense in having a diesel. ID haul that e21 with an e30. 

One thing I would like to cover, I think diesel has its purpose, but solely on LONG hauls. If you are hauling stuff all over the country, or haul trailers on a daily basis more than like, 50 miles, I would say it would be a good call.

Otherwise, you really don't need the power to pull around much. I mean, what the hell are you pulling that you would need a diesel? My dad bought a dually flat bed isuza for 24k brand new in 2005 i think, and it has a 6.0/6.2(not sure which) LSX motor with a th400 trans, and it has 90k on it currently, and we have barely done any work to it. 

My dad was a landscaping/contruction guy so it was a work truck, and it was definitely worked. the two times a month where he needed to haul the skid(13000lbs) plus the 5000lb trailer, it did not have a problem. Sure its not like it hauled ass, but there is plenty of power to pull it. All of this was most of the time within a 50 mile radius. 

There was no reason to pay the extra 8k for the diesel. And the added operating costs. 

I personally believe in having multiple vehicles with each of them having a good purpose(not all around okay cars). 

But dude if you are only hauling your e21 to the race track or within the state, no sense in having a diesel. ID haul that e21 with an e30. 

I agree 100%

#1. I would never track my E21 or any car. I am not into racing or modding my cars to go faster. I do like to drive it hard on back country roads but that's it.

#2. I used to own a Jetta (currently selling as parts car or going to junk yard), E21 and my motorcycle. My E21 is my summer only car. Motorcycles are of course summer only. So I need something for winter. I have ALWAYS wanted a diesel. So I first was looking at TDIs. But then started thinking about how pointless it is to have 2 cars and a motorcycle. Also I have bottomed out in winter before. So a 4x4 truck will be great for heavy snow fall. The diesel part is because I like diesels and want to try one out. I also don't want anything with emissions. If I were to get a gas truck I would have to get a 95 or older. With diesel I can get a 2007 or older. Which is nice. More creature comforts something that my E21 and motorcycle do not offer.

#3 I borrow my friend/room mates duramax A LOT. And feel bad. He always tells me that he doesn't mind but I'd like to be more self reliant instead of always borrowing his. Especially since it's his only vehicle. I had him drive to Tennessee on Thanksgiving and we towed home a Ford F150 that I traded for.

#4 I am looking to do a lot more camping/traveling. It's impossible to do either of those comfortably with my E21/motorcycle. And my brother is the one I normally go camping/traveling with and he also owns a BMW/motorcyle.

This year him and I went to Niagra falls on our bikes. It was fun but killer on the ass and slow as hell for traveling. And expensive because we kept having to rent a motel. We slept one night in a farmers field in a tent.

With a truck. I can sleep in the bed. Just need a truck cap or a camper that goes in the bed.

Since I plan on doing a lot of traveling. A 95 or older gas truck would kill me at the pump. Where as the diesels I am looking at get 18mpg combined. My friends Duramax got 21.5 on our way down to Tennessee and 16 on the way home with the F150 being towed and having to up and down the Appalachia mountains.

If I didn't have to do deal with emissions. I'd probably save myself the money and go with a 6.0/6.2 vortec. Or the Ford 3.5 ecoboost. I test drove one and it kicked ass.

I am looking forward to Heated seats (oh fuck yes) CRUISE CONTROL!!!!! POWER STEERING! damn. All the shit I am missing out on LOL.

Man if they made an awd diesel wagon in the states with a manual trans I would buy it! They made an audi one, but its damn automatic. I imagine that to be the "perfect" daily for me. 

Otherwise I totally want a diesel half ton some day. Like a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. 

That is the saddest part about it. Europe gets all the best diesel motors. And over their manual is more popular.

My bank told me that they value a automatic transmission vehicle higher than a manual one because its what everyone wants. How gay is that?

That is funny that you say that. Because a few years ago. That is EXACTLY the car I wanted to replace my Jetta with. A TDI wagon AWD manual. Dead nuts. We got a smart man on this forum.

A big reason I want a truck also. My friend is the only person I know with a truck. All of my other friends have cars. Both my brothers only have cars. And the rest of family doesn't even live in Wisconsin.

Here is one that I am hoping will still be available when I go down there in 9 days. Crew Cab Long Bed (exactly what I am looking for) Fully Loaded for that Generation and it's Manual. I'll have to cut off that exhaust tip though. It looks ridiculous. I hate the way people mod stuff.

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/ctd/4793933395.html

Well dodge came out with the 1500 that has the V6 diesel in it. I test drove a fully loaded one. But the 8 speed transmission was annoying.

And I quote "Also in that 2016 model year, Chevrolet and GMC will offer a 2.8L Duramax four-cylinder turbodiesel in their Colorado and Canyon, though these should be pretty close in price to a base Silverado or Sierra."

Just curious. Is there a reason he went with the 5.0 instead of the 3.5 ecoboost?

I wouldn't have gotten a diesel either if it's just going to do light duty work.

I pushed him for the 3.5 ecoboost but his mindset is that all of his v8's made it over 200k so thats what hes gonna stick with. Turbos scare him and ge still remembers early unreliable turbo technology. I preached the benefits but hes old school.