WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

Where are you going in Texas? If your going to Austin, PM me. I can point you in the right direction.

I am landing in Austin on the 19th. I used to live in Kyle, Tx for 10 years. I have some family in Austin and the rest over near Bass Drop. I am pumped. First time buying a vehicle and first time for a truck and diesel at that.

Looking mostly at Ford 99-03 7.3s and some 2001-2007 Duramax's

Anyone want to convince me on which setup I should go with? Turbo m20, or turbo m5x in the e30. I want around 350whp on pump gas, and something I can drive every day. Also want to keep the build from unecessary expenses. 
I already have a clutch, and a turbo, and surge tank. Main expensive things are 1)picking a motor and 2)turbo manifold. Which is probably the biggest issue for me so far. I'm not sure If I want to spend the time to build a full twin scroll manifold for a 24v e30, just for 400whp. An m20 turbo manifold twin scroll adapter seems very appealing and very quick. 

Here is some of my concerns from BF.C thread. 

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2145313-m20-turbo-build-help/page2

^^^Yup,the question is what do you do with that 500whp in the E30 wink.gif
I have 255 R-comps,proper suspension,E36 M3 brakes and whatnot.With 400/400 it is handfull to drive,but if I remove the wing it is downright dangerous with 300/300.No rear grip whatsoever.What is funny,I brought my wife's new to her '09 Z4 to the track.With 225F/245R Bridgestone runflats and adaptive supension this car has more grip than my [not] fully sorted E30 with R-comps facepalm.gif Ok,almost.

Thats exactly why I can't justify m5x in my attempt at daily driving a turbo e30. I just want something to have fun with, and that is somewhat reliable, at around 350whp which is perfectly reasonable for an m20 on pump gas. I feel like if I put an m52 in there, I would end up making 500+ and ruin the whole daily driven aspect. 

But the other idea is pump gas + stock compression unopened m52 with studs, and try to make 350-400whp with meth injection? the appealing part is that I have an entire m50 swap sitting in the garage with mounts and all, but a headgasket job on a m50 will basically put me out a couple weeks of driving haha. With an m20, I can have a new head on within a couple hours. And the m50 turbo manifold is a PITA compared to the real simple manifold adapter. 

MAN I'm bad at this.

It seems like your argument against the m50 is a bit ridiculous.  From what I can gather it seems as though you are afraid of "accidentally" making 500whp on a turbo m50.  The m50 will be easier to make power with at lower boost levels for a simple reason... it's a more efficient head design with 24v.  The m20 will be cheaper to build and fix but an m50 isn't that much more.  All you need to do is hear John's (drleadfoot) e30 with the turbo s50 run and you'll be a believer.

Now i'm sure Snap's m20 sense is tingling and he'll be joining soon.