WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Member Spotlight - Nov 2015

B C

Each month (um, or less frequently) I will be harassing/interrogating some innocent soul within our community.

This month I had the opportunity to get to take some time from Earl (Earl) that he will never ever get back, and had I not taken this time from him, he would have finished his project and would be cruising around West Bend laying frame and throwing sparks.

Last months spotlight: http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index.php?/topic/3499-member-spotlight-feb-2015/

--

Snap: Earl, I would make a guess to say that you are the most well known forum member on here. For the few that dont know who you are, what would you like to tell them about yourself?

Earl: I'm sitting here struggling to figure out the proper way to answer even the first question.

I'm 24 years old. I'm 6'-1" and 180lbs. My girlfriend and I live in and apartment in West Bend. We have two cats, Mittens and Boots, as well as a tortoise named Gnar Gnar. We currently have four BMWs, e34 / e36 coupe / e36 compact / e30 sedan, and the girlfriends Ford Taurus.

I work in Menomonee Falls at Bradley Corporation as a Quality Associate. My duties include return materials and incoming inspection, as well as a little metrology.

I think that answer is what you wanted.

S: Obama visits West Bend and tells you that either Mittens & Boots need to go, the compact needs to go, or you get deported to Somalia. What do you choose and why?

E: Somalia would be pretty nice. Sam (my girlfriend) would kill me if i got rid of the cats or the compact.

S: So you get to Somalia and find out Bradley Corporation doesn't have any satellite offices there and your only hope for an income is to join the Somali pirates. You go out on a skiff and hijack a Maersk cargo ship, climbing aboard you find that our dear Mother Trucker and forum owner Chris Young has graduated from the life of big rigs and awkward truck stop encounters and is now the captain of said cargo ship. NOW what do you do?

E: I would plead to get Chris offered a deal to be able to become a pirate since I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him of course.

S: What BMW is your least favorite?

E: Out of all BMWs or out of mine?

S: Out of them all.

E: E65s for sure.

S: 2002-2008 7 Series, I might have to agree with that.

S: Who are some of your favorite car guys/people within the automotive realm?

E: I honestly can't think of any "big" names that I look up to or favor.

S: What about Mike Burroughs? Or is he a douchebag?

E: I like his articles on StanceWorks and some of his "creations" but I don't idolize him or think of him as a superior to anyone else in the scene. I don't really follow racing or anything so I feel embarrassed now.

S: I dont either, but that's because we have been busy in our garages getting our cars finished...... right?!?!?

E: Yeah, sure we have... haha

I've spent the last week fixing my e36 coupe and now have it back on the road so I "should" be getting back to the compact shortly.

S: But really, the quality of work you are doing on the compact is something I have never seen before in person, only in magazines. It is very impressive! What drives you to this level of detail? OCD? A god-tier level of patience? or a meth addiction?

E: I'd say its OCD for the most part. When I first dug into cars I would do things quickly just to get them done. Over time I've learned that if you take your time and do your best, the outcome won't only last longer, but it will be more rewarding. I want to do everything as best as I can on the compact to prove to myself that I can create something that I could only dream of. I just want every facet of the car to have a touch of me in it. I want to be able to look at every part and remember how I installed it and what issues I overcame to get it to fit or look how it does.

S: "I just want every facet of the car to have a touch of me in it. "... The very first thing that came to mind was an airbrushed mural of your famous cat t-shirt on the hood. I know lots of people are looking to seeing the finished product though.

S: Will the 328 make it out to an ice event this winter? (Assuming we have one)

E: If it isn't broken it will for sure! I plan to be going a little faster than the e34 was last year,,, proper tires will be had this time around.

S: What does N.N.D.D stand for?

E: I can't tell you because I would then have to kill you. Sorry.

S: Then admit that it was YOUR coolant that was spilled on Lake Sinissippi!

E: That whole situation was a mess. That damn Impala had to ruin it for us. There were no issues while we were there and then those damn internet heroes had to start insinuating crap.

S: Maybe we can blame it on an air-cooled Porsche this year.

E: Are you saying one will be making an appearance or are you just trying to intrigue me?

S: I say it because an air-cooled Porsche pissing coolant all over the place is a physical impossibility!

S: Thanks for your time, Earl. Any final thoughts, opinions, or words of wisdom?

E: Thought: I'm honored to be chosen for a spotlight. Opinion: WHEEL is the proper term and RIM is still a component (not an assembly). Words of Wisdom: If ever anyone is wondering about lubricating certain components, any mechanical/engineering woes, or wondering why parts from other makes of cars aren't bolting into your BMW, do as I do and text Snap. He is a Wizard!

klutch.jpg

(really old pic used without Earl's permission)

You could call the assembly with a tire a wheel as well since that's also come to be a common use term. Without the tire it is still a wheel. 

A rim on the other hand, by definition, is a component of a wheel. 

To help clear some definitions up. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wheel?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rim?s=t

I'm sure Collin will want to argue with the dictionary now=)

Just because industry has been using the term doesn't mean it is the correct usage=P

And may I remind you what I said in the interview:

S: Thanks for your time, Earl. Any final thoughts, opinions, or words of wisdom?

E: Thought: I'm honored to be chosen for a spotlight. Opinion: WHEEL is the proper term and RIM is still a component (not an assembly). Words of Wisdom: If ever anyone is wondering about lubricating certain components, any mechanical/engineering woes, or wondering why parts from other makes of cars aren't bolting into your BMW, do as I do and text Snap. He is a Wizard!

The only thing worse then using a singular dictionary definition to argue your cause is dismissing a longstanding industry standard term because you don't like it. There are TONS of words in the English language with multiple contexts/meanings. To pick any one definition and say the other uses are incorrect is stupid.

Let's do "bank"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bank?s=t

I keep my money in the bank.

The plane banked to the left.

Please flip on that bank of light switches.

I killed that bank shot in pool last night.

I'm sitting on the bank of the river.

Just because you dont agree with the multiple uses of the word "rim", does not make their uses any less correct.

It's not that I don't agree or like it at all. It is my opinion. I am backing my opinion up with hard facts.

I understand you see the term used in industry but that does not mean that the word is being used correctly.  There is no international source of information that states Rim is an acceptable term to use instead of Wheel. There is also no source stating that the definition of rim is an assembled part. Every definition clearly states that it is the outer most part of a wheel. Check the encyclopedia or any other internationally used source. If you find somewhere that proves this wrong, then you have a valid argument. If not, then stop please ranting or trying to prove me wrong every time I say wheel. lol A bill of material is not a hard source of information=P 

Also, you using the word bank doesn't help justify your use of rim. You have one word that you're using to mean multiple things. All of which are covered in the text book definition.

/rant 

I'm not trying to be a prude but I cannot prove that using the word "rim" to describe a wheel is grammatically correct. By definition, that is the wrong use for the word. I am trying to look at it from your side and find a standard that states otherwise but I am falling short. 

• B C unpinned this topic