WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1999 M3 daily driver running log

m42b32

• 2 weeks later...

124.5k: Oil change with 5w40 synthetic, a few more metal particles on the drain plug than the last two changes but I stretched (aka neglected) my normal interval from 3k to 5k miles, so I'm not too worried about it. 

Went to Pegasus over the weekend with Dan, that place is awesome. Got a proper helmet and I think that is all I need to start getting this car and my e30 out to some events. Hopefully the ice rally-x is rescheduled to a weekend that works! I was pretty concerned about how I would fit in the car with a helmet on, but I can actually make it work while still being fairly comfortable which was a nice surprise. 

13 hours ago, m42b32 said:

31764842073_c013351097_b.jpg

Got a deal on some clear tails, liking how it looks! Eventually I'll get some clear side markers and front signals

I have clear sidemarkers and corners on my black m3.  I think orange looks better on black.  Want to trade?  I don't think my corners work on a coupe though.  I have a sedan.  Happy to mail you my sidemarkers though.  Let me know

19 minutes ago, cpandrewschmidt said:

I have clear sidemarkers and corners on my black m3.  I think orange looks better on black.  Want to trade?  I don't think my corners work on a coupe though.  I have a sedan.  Happy to mail you my sidemarkers though.  Let me know

Unfortunately the corners won't work like you said, but I'd be willing to make the swap on the side markers! I'll send you a PM. 

18 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

That's almost the same spot I had on my alpine e36.  Rust and e36's are one in the same unfortunately.  Have you checked to see if it's too deep to grind and repaint?

I haven't really messed with it. I actually have a can of color matched paint, that nicer catalyzed clear coat, and all the stuff needed for the repair as I was planning on doing it this past summer but that never happened. It's just easier to bolt on a new lid haha

On 1/31/2017 at 9:20 AM, m42b32 said:

I haven't really messed with it. I actually have a can of color matched paint, that nicer catalyzed clear coat, and all the stuff needed for the repair as I was planning on doing it this past summer but that never happened. It's just easier to bolt on a new lid haha

I would just save the paint and bolt a new deck lid on too.

My daily craigslist browsing paid off big time today! Picked up this engine bay candy after work today:

32631396161_ea6dc7ddf5_b.jpg

This isn't your average strut bar, it's an extremely rare (and legit, all the part number stampings are there) Genuine BMW e36 M3 LTW strut bar. I didn't get the shoulder nuts needed to mount it, but fortunately they are still available from the dealer for pretty cheap. Probably going to hold off on mounting it till the summer to keep the salt off it... 

8 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

Very nice. I'm sure you realize that it's worth about $600. Guessing they had no idea what they had.

Yeah I remembered seeing one for sale a few months ago for about that much, that's why I was so surprised at the listing! I think it came down to the guy just wanting a quick sale or not putting in the time to look up the value, especially since they described it fairly accurately in the ad. I paid the seller's asking price and we were both happy with the deal, so I guess as far as craigslist transactions go its a good result for everyone involved 

• 1 month later...

Maybe I jumped the gun a little, but I was getting tired of wallowy snow tires so I put the BBS's back on!

32748441883_ccf83a1172_b.jpg

Also, huge thanks to @YoungCR for bringing the craigslist ad for this to my attention:

33522294856_b7d7d81ff8_b.jpg

Its totally rust free and the latch area isn't cracked at all, and it even still had some tools in the holder that included the final piece needed (The 10mm socket) to complete my set! It will be so nice to finally get rid of the old rusty trunk lid

10 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Maybe I jumped the gun a little, but I was getting tired of wallowy snow tires so I put the BBS's back on!

32748441883_ccf83a1172_b.jpg

Also, huge thanks to @YoungCR for bringing the craigslist ad for this to my attention:

33522294856_b7d7d81ff8_b.jpg

Its totally rust free and the latch area isn't cracked at all, and it even still had some tools in the holder that included the final piece needed (The 10mm socket) to complete my set! It will be so nice to finally get rid of the old rusty trunk lid

The illusive 10mm socket 

19 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:
now its gonna snow just because you couldn't wait like the rest of us.

Its probably my fault we get snow in late March every year haha. Last year I had them on by the second week of March...and then it snowed. This year I waited a little longer and the forecast looked like we were in the clear so I figured why not.

Then this morning I checked the weather...

ce88c779cb43950a0cac118774be13cf.jpg

Lol.