WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1999 M3 daily driver running log

m42b32

Replaced the torn intake boot with a non-asc boot and the matching IVC vacuum line. While I was in there I also replaced all of the idler/tensioner pulleys as the bearings were making quite a bit of noise. It sounds a lot better now! 

A note to people who care: I recently installed Continental brand accessory/ac belts and they seem almost too short (have to bottom out the tensioners to get them on) and are a HUGE pain to get on/off. Next time the belts have to come off I'll be replacing them with something else 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a new audio system for the M3 from andyhundley along with the e30 parts car: 

21253317574_da73490a44_b.jpg

No idea what brand it is but it looks decent, I'm going to polish it up and install it this weekend.

Replaced the cabin air filter today after work because even at full blast there was almost no air coming out of the vents, and what a pain that was... I was able to "cheat" it in on my old e36 but that trick wasn't gonna work this time, ended up pulling out the glovebox and everything else in the way and finally got it in. The old filter was absolutely disgusting...

21885734871_ae4ac6160f_b.jpg

Also bought an UltraGauge and mounted it under the headlight switch, its been really interesting keeping an eye on all the things it can display. I highly recommend it as a dedicated OBD2 readout as it is very compact and easy to read at a glance 

Installed the exhaust on Saturday, the bolts connecting the midsection to the rear section weren't horrible, only had to use the dremel on one of them which was better than I had expected. Started the car with no muffler on which was fun too, didn't get a video of that though.

Once I got everything bolted up it sounds incredible, I've been driving everywhere with the windows open. I can barely hear it while cruising on the freeway which is nice for longer drives too

Installed the exhaust on Saturday, the bolts connecting the midsection to the rear section weren't horrible, only had to use the dremel on one of them which was better than I had expected. Started the car with no muffler on which was fun too, didn't get a video of that though.

Once I got everything bolted up it sounds incredible, I've been driving everywhere with the windows open. I can barely hear it while cruising on the freeway which is nice for longer drives too

I am glad to hear you are happy with the exhaust.

I hate doing those e36 cabin air filters! They are such a pain! I remember doing it for my first time and prior to it I did not have a sagging glove box door and I was so proud of that... after service I had a sagging glove box door and it was never right.

Yeah I just made my sagless glove box sag, only after I had it all apart did I realize how the little tabs that stop the sag are shaped...

Installed a spal fan (medium profile puller, 1600cfm) over the last few days. Wired it in with a relay, and properly sized fuses on both the power and switching circuits.

Decided to mount a manual switch in the center console instead of running it off the temperature switch in the radiator. I have my ultragauge to read out coolant temps so I will know when I want/need the fan on or off.

I am also planning to eventually repurpose my ASC switch to control the fan for added OEMness, should be a fun little project for the winter

I've heard of the rear springs breaking pretty easily but not the fronts! Who knows how long it's been like that...

I will be getting a set of springs and struts asap. Working on a deal on some lightly used Koni yellows and then I'll pick up some h&r sport or race springs, haven't decided which yet though

I am answering the universe with a set of koni yellows (deal has been sealed) and some h&r sports.

Want the h&r race's but I don't want to become a snowplow in the winter...

And Earl, I'll let you know if I so, I think I should be ok for this week, if things get delayed or fall through I'll shoot you a PM

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a picture from the tint removal process, I used a garment steamer to remove the tint and then followed it up with ammonia to get rid of the leftover glue. It worked pretty well but I hope I never have to do it again...

23081005756_fb99deac6f_b.jpg

Here is a potato quality shot of my car I took out the window at work today:

22688729237_f5b43a1ec1_c.jpg

And another picture once I got home that better shows the new ride height:

22688733127_a1d5c968d0_b.jpg

Tonight I installed the winter wheels, they are 16x7.5 OZ wheels and they clear the m3 brakes perfectly and don't look as bad as I thought. I have the centercaps but I think it looks better without them, although I haven't seen them on the car yet. I also put in some black rubber floor mats (hexomats) I got from a guy on r3v, they fit perfectly and cover a lot more of the floor than the standard mats. The rear mats even extend pretty far beneath the seats which is nice. 

22485879123_ce7d60823c_b.jpg