WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Savin Big Money Project Thread

jc43089

She will be 2 in May, her hair is so long that she looks older, it is fun when she comes out to "help" me.  I hope that doesn't change when she gets older. 

The head was a clean reman one when I put it on, that's after 5yrs/45k.  I use Royal Purple HPS 5w-30 changed about every 10k, with a filter change about every 5k.

Edit: HPS not XPS

Holy hell I change the filter and oil(t6 synthetic) every 3k about.

hi,

did you use intake sprocket from m54 or m52? on intake side

I will be using the original m50 sprocket. 

Rear sub frame mount reinforcements are installed, Started on RTAB pocket reinforcements.  The undercoating has been a nightmare.  Mike came over to help some and it is too slow with the current method.  I am going to make a Harbor Freight run and get a sandblaster to give that a try, even if it doesn't work it will be handy to have for other projects.  Tried zip strip and it doesn't even soften it, not sure what else to do.

Moral of the story, just buy a car from the south.

I will be using the original m50 sprocket. 

Rear sub frame mount reinforcements are installed, Started on RTAB pocket reinforcements.  The undercoating has been a nightmare.  Mike came over to help some and it is too slow with the current method.  I am going to make a Harbor Freight run and get a sandblaster to give that a try, even if it doesn't work it will be handy to have for other projects.  Tried zip strip and it doesn't even soften it, not sure what else to do.

Moral of the story, just buy a car from the south.

You nailed it. 

Less time messing around with rust repair and stubborn/broken bolts, more time improving things, more time enjoying the car. 

Yeah but getting a car from the south means u have to trust photos and the cost of getting it too

I bought my current 528e based off two crappy cell phone pics, so it was a good surprise to see how good a shape it was when I picked it up! While its nice for suspension work, body work has to be done on almost any car this age. Also fixing things yourself means you know your car better and won't have any surprises down the road.

Here we go, First was out having some fun driving the cruiser.

001_zps48fe0e57.jpg

Here is the pile of undercoating so far.

005_zps798aa954.jpg

Rear subframe reinforcements.

010_zps0ab7dd91.jpg

013_zps92c7017f.jpg

Rear trailing arm pockets.

014_zps04e3a548.jpg

Then I made an air dryer for sandblasting.  Here is what the inside looks like.

007_zps684e0ca9.jpg

Finished.  When you want dry air, connect the air so it goes through, and fill the PVC tube with ice.  Air temp drops, moisture condenses and stays in the bottom of the loop, then just drain periodically from the copper line.  It will be mounted to the wall and then can be drained of water from the ice melting with the PVC valve at the bottom into a bucket.  After going through this it will go into a filter as well.

008_zps8c6358f4.jpg

Then I cleaned up the garage, it was getting pretty bad.  Messy garage = poor productivity.

017_zps72bd0a93.jpg

My piles of parts are kinda scary so close to spring...

020_zps7c937e49.jpg

019_zps0045d999.jpg

021_zpsfa4ccb0a.jpg

And a few parts that were powder coated.  Kawasaki black.

006_zpsc7cb724c.jpg

Got a sandblaster from HF so next week I will try to get the shell into the driveway and start blasting.

015_zps460a3beb.jpg

And my new awesome garbage can.

018_zps5c86398a.jpg