WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Savin Big Money Project Thread

jc43089

• 3 months later...

Finally worked on this again, tested my HF sandblaster, using 80 grit glass bead works very nicely for paint/rust removal.  I worked on pulling the ABS harness before work today, just the part that goes through the firewall is left, I will have a complete uncut ABS harness/control box if anyone needs such a thing.  Also removed the Autopage alarm system installed with substandard craftsmanship.  No need for that junk in Pville, also the alarm was so sensitive it would go off if a squirrel farted within 20 feet of it so I never set it/locked the car anyway. 

Got the HVAC box out of the center too.  Pics to come.

For the sandblasting I was using the custom air compressor on my Land Cruiser (A/C compressor)  It worked awesome, blasting with a 3mm tip steady at 80-100PSI.  But I am concerned that I will ruin it by putting as many hours on it as it will take to do the whole bottom of the car so I am going to probably pick this up tomorrow. 

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/4628932137.html

Mo Powa!!!

I took the day off tomorrow so I will be giviner on this.

Sorry no pics, I have been working and took a few but haven't uploaded them yet, I got the air compressor, it is a US General (old HF brand)  At that time (2009) it was a Belaire compressor painted black.  Looked up prices on one of those and they are about 2100 new so I feel good about getting a slightly used one for 750.  It dims the lights pretty good when it kicks on, 7.5hp Baldor industrial motor, 29A at 230V.  I can blast steady now and the compressor shuts off to wait for me periodically, my custom air dryer works better than expected too, fill the PVC with ice water and drain the bottom occasionally. 

I also have to roll it in the garage now between work days because I got a notice from the city calling it a "junk car" and to get rid of it, how rude...  At least it is easy to move on the casters.

Haha oil stains are from the Toyota, it leaves a puddle every time you park it.  I just top it off and giver. 

The wires don't scare me, but I am an electrician/controls technician so wiring and diagrams are a daily thing for me.  Without the ETM I would be screwed.  It has pretty much turned into a restoration.  This phase will include repairing all rust, seam welding, already installed reinforcements, buying lots of tools, painting everything except the outer body. 

I realize this much work could be better spent on something besides an e36 but although they do not have the classic style I like how this car drives better than older or newer BMWs.  I plan to have this car for a long time so that makes me feel better about spending money on a worthless car.  In another 20 years the kids will be ooohing and ahhhing over a "classic" e36.

Should be the same thing, it is all in the front except for the sensors to the rear.  You have to get 2 pins out of the blue plug that goes to the cluster and unhook a couple of those spade connector terminal jumper things that are in the black insulators.  I think it might be necessary to disassemble the fuse box but you already did that.  I have some additional pics if you need them.  Mostly just patience is required.

Haha oil stains are from the Toyota, it leaves a puddle every time you park it.  I just top it off and giver. 

The wires don't scare me, but I am an electrician/controls technician so wiring and diagrams are a daily thing for me.  Without the ETM I would be screwed.  It has pretty much turned into a restoration.  This phase will include repairing all rust, seam welding, already installed reinforcements, buying lots of tools, painting everything except the outer body. 

I realize this much work could be better spent on something besides an e36 but although they do not have the classic style I like how this car drives better than older or newer BMWs.  I plan to have this car for a long time so that makes me feel better about spending money on a worthless car.  In another 20 years the kids will be ooohing and ahhhing over a "classic" e36.

Hey. Kids dump thousands of dollars into civics. del sols, integras and so on everyday. If they can justify it. Then so can you!

• 2 months later...

Did a little work on Saturday, got started with seam welding in the engine bay.  I am not the best with mig welding, using .023 wire and 75/25 gas.  The biggest problem is probably the seam sealer that is stuck in the cracks and pops when welding.  Any tips are appreciated.  I will be borrowing a tig welder from a guy at work, I have done quite a bit of tig at work on stainless.

IMAG0060_zpsahpbernd.jpg

IMAG0061_zpsfcf2zdj7.jpg

Not any e36, a rust free one only lol. I haven't gotten much done due to 50 - 60 hour weeks at work since April. Hopefully it slows down soon. We are making spam now, just commissioned the batching/grinding system last week. Soon the place will be too full for anything else.

Sent from my potato phone

• 3 weeks later...

Borrowing a TIG welder to make it look real fancy.  The bay is coming along well.  I got an x-brace from Jawa and a set of chrome hella headlights with the celis angel eyes from BFC.  They have no housings so it might be interesting, also not sure about the chrome but I can always paint that.