WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Savin Big Money Project Thread

jc43089

• 1 year later...

Well hello there.  I am not in Wisconsin anymore unfortunately.  I got a promotion/sidemotion and am working at the Hormel engineering R&D facility now.  Basically a custom machine building shop that only supplies Hormel Foods.  Very near Albert Lea Minnesota if anyone is ever passing through hit me up.  We sold our House in Platteville to another BMW guy that I met on a cruise so the BMW tradition continues there.  

We rented a house for a little bit in Albert Lea while we were house hunting.  We ended up buying a place in the country just into Iowa, yea surrounded by cornfields, pretty lame scenery after growing up in central Wisconsin and then living in Platteville but oh well.

So we found a place with 2.5 acres on a blacktop road which was difficult to find.  2 bedroom ranch house that is structurally in excellent shape but it was a foreclosure so the price was right.  We made a few modifications to the inside which were a little different because it was a modular home (ships in two halves and lifted with a crane onto the basement)  So the center wall was pretty important because the trusses are two halves rather than spanning the whole house.  We wanted it to be open between the living room and the kitchen/dining room.  We took some siding off the end of the house and cut a hole to bring two 16" x 30' LVL headers which I glued/and lag screwed to the trusses so I could remove 17' of wall below.  It worked great, I preloaded it upwards 1/4" while fastening the beam and when loaded it only came back down 1/16".

Old view

IMAG0363_zpshwdnjhlz.jpg

New View

IMAG0392_zps7xsn2pqp.jpg

IMAG0393_zpsamvrh24n.jpg

Also put in some rustic hard maple flooring and rearranged the kitchen cabinets to work with the new layout.

IMAG0546_zps5u3fr7b1.jpg

IMAG0475_zpskuttylbn.jpg

There is a 2 car attached garage so the BMW has a resting place for now.

IMAG0469_zpsykfnslpd.jpg

It has a "chicken barn" that is 18x40' which isn't in great shape but I'm repairing to be dry inside.  I put steel on the roof and replaced the rotten boards on the walls and repainted part of it.

IMAG0707_zps3zgp8n0q.jpg

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD a 32x42' barn from around 1920.  

IMAG0890_zpsmafcy8id.jpg

The roof was beyond repair on the other side from leaking and rotting the roof.  I found an Amish guy, Gideon, that would tear it down for free in exchange for the timbers.  Here are a few pictures of the demolition.  He did it in 5 days by himself with no power tools.  You can see how bad the roof was bowed in.  The arched beams were 7 stacked 1x2 boards held together with carriage bolts every 18".

IMAG0898_zps0s2zniab.jpg

IMAG0903_zpsydezr41q.jpg

IMAG0897_zpsg9vuphmq.jpg

IMAG0893_zps8pa5c7gd.jpg

He is in the process of rebuilding it right now.

IMAG0952_zpslbo1x2zv.jpg

Current status.

IMAG0018_zpsyfvml7vm.jpg

IMAG0021_zpstgtq4ybo.jpg

I will be pouring a new floor with tubes for hydronic heat in the spring.  The downstairs is just over 12'6" height so I can fit a lift.

IMAG0956_zpsb5zoipks.jpg

Side note, Amish guys have cool tools.  Yes a dewalt chop saw with a gas engine.  Everything else including the screws attaching the steel on the exterior he does by hand.

IMAG0020_zpsobwtwgci.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The trailer came with the house, It is in the woods and the only way to get it out would be dragging it backwards.  It is an insulated 48' in good shape so it works good to keep some stuff out of the garage.

Some pics of the new house.  It's on 26 acres, 19 of it is woods and the other 7 is an alfalfa field.

l4NTqGZ.jpg

Wood boiler for heat, there is also an LP furnace for backup.

ceNldSM.jpg

hFJVDTm.jpg

SV0MHwN.jpg

kiJ7Z6E.jpg

6FGe5s8.jpg

And the garage, 26' deep by 32' wide.  The floor has pex in it but there is a leak.

r99oVRY.jpg

tM4i0Et.jpg