WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Official-look-what-i-found-thread (craigslist, other-forums, etc)

alexw

It is so rusty that the door clunks in the frame going over expansion joints in the road, salt was not kind to it.  It has been the winter beater for many years.  We have gotten our money's worth from it though.  My wife's dad bought it when it was 2 years old with 40k for about 14,000, now it is 18 years old and I am about to hit 250k.  I have replaced the clutch, shocks, brakes, ball joints, and rear wheel bearings but nothing really unexpected for the miles.

Also my biggest problem is that I can't justify selling a good running car no matter how bad it looks for 800$ so I can spend 8000$ on another one to use as a winter beater anyway.

8 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

It is so rusty that the door clunks in the frame going over expansion joints in the road, salt was not kind to it.  It has been the winter beater for many years.  We have gotten our money's worth from it though.  My wife's dad bought it when it was 2 years old with 40k for about 14,000, now it is 18 years old and I am about to hit 250k.  I have replaced the clutch, shocks, brakes, ball joints, and rear wheel bearings but nothing really unexpected for the miles.

Also my biggest problem is that I can't justify selling a good running car no matter how bad it looks for 800$ so I can spend 8000$ on another one to use as a winter beater anyway.

Yes you can.  Personal comfort is a great reason to buy another car.

2 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

slap a tune on that grocery getter and a lot of people will be surprised lolol

Yea, not sure if the 1 of 328 facelift manual e60 wagons is true but I have never seen another one for sale.  Not sure if the price is good or not?  5er's drop so fast it's crazy.  Our fast Volvo wagon is quite a surprise to most folks lol, it can be quite entertaining when punks think they are cool on the highway and get beat by a Swedish wagon.

What is the world coming to... I know there are many automatics that shift faster and more precisely but it's just not as fun to drive. But the manufacturer is selling what people are buying so it's not their fault. All of our cars are manuals and my wife was driving my parents Sienna van recently and told me later she couldn't get the key out so she just went into the store and later realized it was because she hadn't put it in park... our beater maxima was her high school car.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, jc43089 said:

What is the world coming to... I know there are many automatics that shift faster and more precisely but it's just not as fun to drive. But the manufacturer is selling what people are buying so it's not their fault. All of our cars are manuals and my wife was driving my parents Sienna van recently and told me later she couldn't get the key out so she just went into the store and later realized it was because she hadn't put it in park... our beater maxima was her high school car.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I'm not going to lie, on some level I would like an automatic for daily use.  I absolutely despised automatics until they started coming out with some decent ones.  My company car is a 2011 Impala and the automatic in that is fucking dreadful.  Just absolutely fucking horrible.  The 8spd BMW auto is a really good auto and the Mercedes auto is really good.  I haven't driven any paddle shift cars but I've heard that the early stuff is rough but the newer dual clutch cars are supposed to be a great compromise between auto and manual.

8 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I'm not going to lie, onI haven't driven any paddle shift cars but I've heard that the early stuff is rough but the newer dual clutch cars are supposed to be a great compromise between auto and manual.

E46 M3/E60 M5 SMG'S are terrible IMO, every shift is hard. The E92 dual clutch was the first automatic I really enjoyed also because you get perfect rev matching every downshift :D The new 8spds are great too but I still prefer a manual. My commuter car of choice would be a 335d if I had to though, those can still chirp tires.