WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

JL amps are also amazing, the mono sub amps are good down to 1.5 ohms, which works well as some of their subs are dual 3ohm voice coils, parallel gets you to 1.5 ohms, those are only the monster w7 series though.  You need to decide how many you are going to have though to set up your system properly. 

For example with one sub you may want a dual 4ohm in parallel which is 2 ohms. 

But if you want 2 subs then you would want each to have a single 4 ohm coil, or dual 2 ohms wired in series so the total would be 4 ohms, then wire the two in parallel which results in 2 ohms.

At this point in my life if I were to have some woofers again I would get a single w6 series 10".  All the quality and plenty of volume, don't compare these to the typical Sony Xplod stuff, this is a whole different level.  (No offense to anyone with Sony equipment ;) )

I don't know much about amps and subs and such.  I had Car-Feteria install the new sub and hook everything up thinking I did something wrong but the same thing happened.  I wonder if my amp, which is around 8 years old might be bad.  Could a box blow a sub or over work an amp? 

I'm going to take it back there and tell them to make a bullet proof system.  I just wanna blast some tunes!!

Update from yesterday:  Mazdaspeeds are getting a lesson in Turbo'd MPOWER!!! 

A MazdaSpeed 6 with license plate "1SICK6" found out his 6 wasn't so sick.

The box shouldn't damage a sub, it just may not have the best sound quality if not sized correctly, each sub has specs on the optimal box dimensions. 

Easiest way to blow a sub is an underpowered or poor quality amp.  A speaker is just an electromagnet attached to a diaphragm that physically moves to match the electrical sine wave coming from the amplifier.  When the amp is beyond its RMS/continuous power rating the sine wave gets cut off at the top.  Then the sine wave is sqare at the top (referred to as clipping/distortion) the sub tries to move in the same way instead of a smooth back and forth action which will quickly overheat the coils in the electromagnet. 

Long story short it is better to have more amp than you need.

It's not too bad. Alternator wasn't charging. I noticed it when I was on my way back from Caledonia. I had to go to Whitefish Bay on 11volts. I made it to the Hampton exit and then it died. She went far on 8 volts!

And it's leaking oil again.............................

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Saw that picture - and thought "Oh Crap!". Happy to hear it's something minor!

Sucks about the oil leak tho! :(

I'm pretty sure it is the alternator but we shall see. I put 200 miles on the car yesterday and 50 of those we're hard. I'm glad I'm working the bugs out of it. She'll get there.

The miles that I put on since I got it back were so much fun with the warmer weather! This thing is nuts and I can't wait for more wheel time. I haven't even started with the PA system!!! It is still running great, when I have voltage at least.

Goodness! That car is amazing!

.... You shouldnt have binned it

I know! It was in my best interest to take the $$ and the totaled car and run. Then I sold the car for $3500 in 12min on s14.net.

It still haunts me that I don't have it but it wasn't crossing my when I had my car in the sun just cruising 2 days ago.