WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

tehy7ana.jpg

Billy doing work! 

9u7erera.jpg

All buttoned up!  Radiator/Coolant/Oil tomorrow if work doesn't get in the way.

Snap, see the intercooler mount?

I'm going to run cheap oil and sea foam to Billy's shop on 1st St. then get a new filter and royal purple in there.

y2y6ugyr.jpg

I picked up some new covers from Gluten Parts.  So nice to see the new parts sticker!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

e5evybe4.jpg

So I got it running again and I narrowed down the leak to the lower cover towards the top. Ugh.

#processofelimination

I have Teflon and an o-ring on the tensioner. So I don't think that's where the leak is coming from.

I'll see if anything is loose then if it is still leaking I'll have to pop off the valve cover and lower cover then try to get enough space in between the block and cover to ooze some rtv in there without having to take off The Bolt of Jesus.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I had a leak from the same(ish) spot!

You really can't move it much, need to unbolt it from the head (3 small torx) and you need to use a wobble extension to get under the timing chain without taking it out, 1/4" drive is required for that one.

Take out the front oil pan bolts, but loosen the rest a turn or two and now it should be separated enough!

Was a pain to do, but not as bad as expected.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I had a leak from the same(ish) spot! You really can't move it much, need to unbolt it from the head (3 small torx) and you need to use a wobble extension to get under the timing chain without taking it out, 1/4" drive is required for that one. Take out the front oil pan bolts, but loosen the rest a turn or two and now it should be separated enough! Was a pain to do, but not as bad as expected. Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reassurance!  I'll probably run it with the leak for a bit until I break it down again. 

• 3 weeks later...