WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

I have that same mallet.

Glad you got to use lil' smokey again  

Have you had a chance to try the new mounts?

I like the picture of you + the engine bay

Rummage sale mallet!!

I haven't run the new mounts yet.  #snowday

Me sporting the monkey suit!!!

Saw your article on Facebook.

Pretty awesome!!

Also, nice plug for wibim's. : )

Thanks!!  I'm excited about it.

I'm trying to represent!  I wanted to make sure it comes full circle to keep it local.

Drove the e30 the other day with the trans mounts.  It is a little more noisy and there are some more vibrations but nothing that was too bad.  We'll see how long that lasts.  As for performance I have no clue.  Too cold to have fun without freaking myself out.

This is why you need an M20. Then you could have fun (maybe) without freaking yourself out. 

My next little undertaking that needs to be done to get this thing close to 100% right:

- Switch my heater core hoses on the firewall.  I read a couple of places that if you have them incorrect you will only blow hot air at idle and get cold air at speed which are my current symptoms.  DONE

- While my hands are tucked in there I'm going to install my adjustable FPR.

- With the coolant coming out of the car I will pull my radiator to 1) completely drain the system as much as I can to get fresh coolant in there just for peace of mind, 2) deal with a striped bolt on my vanos cover (ugh!) and 3) RTV seal + reinstall the vanos cover gasket.  I'm 99% this is where the oil leak is coming from.  An educated guess by the DOC.  DONE

- Fill with distilled water then drive to my buddies shop where he can pressure fill the system with the liquid gold aka BMW blue coolant, water wetter and distilled water.

- While there do an oil change with royal purple and take a oil sample and send out to get tested to see what she is sweatin' off in there.

- Replace the current BOV vacuum hose with a 1/4" I.D. braided line.

If all goes well with the oil leak and BOV I'll then change the boost to low 20s psi. and have a beer.

My next little undertaking that needs to be done to get this thing close to 100% right:

- Switch my heater core hoses on the firewall.  I read a couple of places that if you have them incorrect you will only blow hot air at idle and get cold air at speed which are my current symptoms.

- While my hands are tucked in there I'm going to install my adjustable FPR.

- With the coolant coming out of the car I will pull my radiator to 1) completely drain the system as much as I can to get fresh coolant in there just for peace of mind, 2) deal with a striped bolt on my vanos cover (ugh!) and 3) RTV seal + reinstall the vanos cover gasket.  I'm 99% this is where the oil leak is coming from.  An educated guess by the DOC.

- Fill with distilled water then drive to my buddies shop where he can pressure fill the system with the liquid gold aka BMW blue coolant, water wetter and distilled water.

- While there do an oil change with royal purple and take a oil sample and send out to get tested to see what she is sweatin' off in there.

- Replace the current BOV vacuum hose with a 1/4" I.D. braided line.

If all goes well with the oil leak and BOV I'll then change the boost to low 20s psi. and have a beer.

Busy day there.....I like what your doing and I will take you up on that ride :) in better weather....Actually looking forward to it. I would like to get to know more about boosting in general....

Thanks for posting your progress.....

Busy day there.....I like what your doing and I will take you up on that ride :) in better weather....Actually looking forward to it. I would like to get to know more about boosting in general....

Thanks for posting your progress.....

I do have my work cut out for me on this day.  Whenever that will come.  Probably within a week or two.

In sub teen temps with the 215mm tires I might as well not give it more than half throttle.  I forgot to mention I will be popping my 235's on soon just to rock in this salt.  Those rims are cheap ESMs.  Pretty frustrating but it will make me get this thing 100% right before the warm weather comes so I can just drive!

Soooo I just snapped the tapper in the vanos cover hole.  %*&%#@$!!  Time to walk away for a bit.

I'm thinking of getting a reverse threaded drill bit and see if it will back itself out.  Does anyone know how much extra material is surrounding those holes?  Oh god....  I actually might just take that cover off and see what I can do then.

On a slightly positive note there was oil on the bolt when I took it out leading me to believe that the oil leak is coming from that gasket

This cold weather is a dickhoal. 

I was installing a head stud yesterday, almost torqued down, then SNAP

(unfathomable rage and fear, imminent death, and all the foul things of the world all concentrated into a tiny particle  and then vomited upon the expanse of my ambiance ).

Some oil in the bottom of the hole prevented the stud from going down further and the cold caused the stud to pull out 2-3 threads  from the cold brittle cast iron block. I was able to clean out the hole and thread it back in with plenty of engagement left so all is well in the world, but still. I nearly cried. 

My oil filter housing already fell victim to the cold last week. That was bad enough.

Good luck with that tap.