WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

glad to see you found/confirmed your leak.  you must have been burning some low-grade leaves otherwise you wouldnt have needed the water spritzer.

You should see my garage. There are too many fire hazards to whip up a bonfire. I tried but I don't think I have any leaks except for the turbo cold side. (Video on instagram. Here soon.) Once my silicone dries up tomorrow I'll smoke the turbo side and see is she puff. #ifshesmokesshepokes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I found this on you tube and this guy states you should consult the compressor map when choosing a turbo for you car. Anyway, I watched it and this guy knows what he is talking about. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lv4yjiuJSU

Hope this helps

Mike

That video was a great help.  Todd, TCD, picked out the perfect turbo for what I wanted to do with the car it looks like!  (I never doubted him!)

I'm thinking start with a 20-24psi spring in the wastegate and see how that works with the setup.

I emailed TRM to talk to them about fine tuning the tune.  I would like to get it dyno'd at the high boost to get the air/fuel ratios documented and have them take it from there.

On compressor maps, the y-axis is the pressure ratio which is (intended boost pressure + 14.7psi)/14.7psi.   so a pressure ratio of 2 equates to ~15psi boost pressure and a pressure ratio of 3 would be ~30psi  etc.

On the x-axis, the target horsepower can be approximated by multiplying the flowrate in lb/min by 10. so 40lb/min being about 400whp. You want to land in the middle of the highest efficiency island. 

TCD or anyone that isnt a total noob with turbos, please correct me and expound, I am here to learn. 

On compressor maps, the y-axis is the pressure ratio which is (intended boost pressure + 14.7psi)/14.7psi. so a pressure ratio of 2 equates to ~15psi boost pressure and a pressure ratio of 3 would be ~30psi etc.

On the x-axis, the target horsepower can be approximated by multiplying the flowrate in lb/min by 10. so 40lb/min being about 400whp. You want to land in the middle of the highest efficiency island.

TCD or anyone that isnt a total noob with turbos, please correct me and expound, I am here to learn.

I was not calculating my pressure ratio correctly. 20psi would put me at 2.3 PR and that puts me right in the honey hole for the turbo! Well, maybe I guess.

say goodbye to your teeth

potassium-intensifies.gif

Actually let me know how the vibration is.  Better yet, I need a ride when they are installed. 

As for motivation. Get some warm clothes on, Get the jack out, put a stand on one side, Get your 12 or 13mm wrenches out, support the trans with the  jack, replace them, and be done with it in under 15 minutes. 

I dare you. 

say goodbye to your teeth

Actually let me know how the vibration is.  Better yet, I need a ride when they are installed. 

As for motivation. Get some warm clothes on, Get the jack out, put a stand on one side, Get your 12 or 13mm wrenches out, support the trans with the  jack, replace them, and be done with it in under 15 minutes. 

I dare you. 

Maybe tomorrow. Maybe!

I got my charger for the gopro and can't wait to get some footage.