WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

As predicted she goes back on jack stands. Oil light came on after a 3rd gear pull against a crotch rocket. I didn't seize the motor so hopefully I'll be all good.

I have no oil leaks. The level is right where it should be. I'm guessing that the oil pump bolt loosened up. I know that Kummrow didn't weld/safety wire the nut. Ugh.

Anyone want to swing by and wrench today? I can get the grill going!

I don't want to pull the motor so I'm going to drop the subframe. I wanted to paint it anyway. (Calling Zachary) Anyone have an engine brace that braces from the fenders?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes. Andrew. I know he has one. Andrew is just his username. Most people know him by the name Andrew. If it is of any comfort. I had an oil pump fail on a vw once while i was on the freeway. Heard the bearings clicking and clacking , limped it another 3 miles home and it ran fine after replacing the oil pump

yje4ygyv.jpgy3ysa5y7.jpg

Just to see what the damage is.

ary4u7yh.jpg

I have all of the bolts off of the oil pan. It still is really tight on the transmission side even with loosening the two lower trans bolts. Do I need to pull the trans to get the pan off?? Help!!

The front of the pan is loose and while I was hitting it with a rubber mallet you can definitely hear something metal bouncing around in there. I think it is the oil pump sprocket by the sound of it.

Snap is thinking the bowl reinforcment that the 12v engines have.  24v doesn't have this.  You should not have to loosen the transmission.  Are you sure it is not just RTV "gluing" it on?

I'll give it another good prying. I was getting nervous about breaking it before.

As long as you got all of the bolts out it should come off, use a putty knife to work it off of there.  I'm sure you did, but double check the perimeter for any bolts that you could have missed.  There are a couple at the back that are long if I remember right that go into the rear main seal housing but they are the same diameter as all of the rest.  If you still have trouble I have a spare oil pan that I could take a pic of.

Glad you got the pan off. The chain driving the oil pump is a different one from the cams, right? Any oil analysis results yet

There are two different chains.  One guy on R3V said that the tensioner would have been affected but the tensioner only touches the timing chain not the oil pump chain.  I'm confused about that.

No results yet since I haven't mailed it.  The sample I took won't be 100% accurate because, as you know, you need to heat up the oil and mix it up.  I took the sample when the oil was about half way done draining.  I will be monitoring the oil closely from here on out just so I know when to replace my bearings.

Are you anticipating a rebuild/new bearings kind of no-matter what? Or making a decision based on the results?

Based on results. The oil was newer and I caught it pretty quick I think. If it is okay I will shout the praises of Royal Purple from the mountains. A little worried about my turbo shaft play doe.