WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

I will have to wait until I get home from work today to look at the pics, stupid work network blocks most hosted pictures.  Unless the crank is damaged you shouldn't have to pull it to replace rod bearings.  To get the mains out you would have to remove the crank though.  Definitely check clearance with plastigage, I think it should be .0018-.0022, I can check in my Bentley tonight.  That's not going to be fun to replace the sprocket, its one piece I think with the cam drive sprocket.  At least your crank bolt was loose already :P

Bearings ordered.  BOOM!!  well, hopefully not this time around.

I wish making this car reliable was as easy as ordering parts.

Everything I need is here or on its way this week to get this bolted back up ASAP the right way this time around. 

Now for some thinking out loud:

I have been debating on going to a softer engine/trans mount to combat the vibes.  The vibes are both good and bad.  Good for me, bad for the bimmer.

If I go MS3 I would use the S52 timing pickup that is in the engine block to reduce the rotating mass of the OBD 1 harmonic balancer timing pickup.

Some properly offseted wheels to accommodate a lot of rubber so I'm gripping instead of bouncing the motor of the rev limiter every time acceleration is extreme.  If you know my name this is almost every time the right foot is on that GO pedal.  I will be borderline living underneath the rear suspension and in the trunk, watching for cracks and signs of stress, once there are bigger tires on there.  Hopefully the girlfriend will want to join me.

There are more thoughts but the motor needs to be in the front of my mind.

• 2 weeks later...