WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

Finally got into the garage.

With my JB racing flywheel there is no flywheel lock hole so I just need to keep an eye on the tdc mark.

The cam locking tool that I got was a little too narrow. So I'm going to watch that with my eye too. Sketch yes. I need to get this on the road.

Got the timing set up and just need to torque down the exhaust cam bolts while there is torque on the tensioner.

Then is is all down hill from there.

Then lets shoot photos

So close yet so far.

Need to get all new block to engine mount bolts and torque & loctite them properly. Along with new motor mount bolts. The "stock" condor bolts have been beyond stripped. 0a2fa236f34cc46a75a219129a8c1a9d.jpg

Out with the old... in with new!!

e2a60e51329e3b66c3cd463a56d8075b.jpg

dc93b28368ce386810ba4c4d0a866412.jpg

New water heater too. $460 labor and parts. Jose the Plumber can do everything and some! 3 month warranty on his labor, insured, hard worker.

4d8c423fc0fbf2caebfe7d93f49cf50a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made some good progress.

Made my cam tool.

73fbd58a9dc6f53956ac874aa3f69924.jpg

Got the vanos all bolted up, rtv'd and torqued down.

8e21c9f5830a09ff2cedfa7032a9d797.jpg

Documenting these spark plugs. Kummrow put these in. I will replace them and make sure they are gapped to .021 and facing away from the intake.

af3fe0a96439d7ac0d9001adf471c4ef.jpg

To do list:

- Install oil pump.

- Oil pan.

- Valve cover.

- Torque subframe.

- Steering rack.

- Skid plate.

- Torque down transmission.

- New bolts for motor mounts, engine and subframe side.

- Random odds & ends to tighten up.

- Intake manifold & throttle body.

I use NGK 2288 in my m50, they have 2 grounds, and a protruding center electrode, they are also the factory plugs for the s50, I pulled a set from an m52 that said NGK on one side and BMW on the other.  My m50 came with Bosch 4 ground plugs that I replaced with the NGKs and gained 2mpg.  I looked up the x52 engines and they have a few other choices, so see if the plugs you have are any of them, there also may be different heat ranges required with a turbo setup which I do not know about.  I just know that I prefer NGK plugs.  Also now that I think about it...why would the x50 engines have different plugs than the x52 engines?  The heads, blocks etc are the same castings so any of them should be physically interchangeable, unless it is a piston clearance issue?

I use NGK 2288 in my m50, they have 2 grounds, and a protruding center electrode, they are also the factory plugs for the m50/52, I pulled a set from an m52 that said NGK on one side and BMW on the other.  My m50 came with Bosch 4 ground plugs that I replaced with the NGKs and gained 2mpg.  I looked up the Sxx engines and they have a few other choices, so see if the plugs you have are any of them, there also may be different heat ranges required with a turbo setup which I do not know about.  I just know that I prefer NGK plugs.

I was running the 4554s with good results.  I think these are comparable but I want to make sure they are set up the way I like even if it might be overkill or too detail oriented.

Car in gear, park brake set, wheel chocks in front of rear wheels. Id hate to see you wreck the block or something Perhaps a better idea exists but this is the best i can come up with on a thursday night

I had to do my jesus bolt in car, and doing it this way did not feel good. I tried it and stopped, also the car started to go up the blocks lol. I have the proper tool that bolts to the crank using the dampener bolts and then you just rest the handle on the ground and get a torque wrench, feels much better than the car in gear method. If you want to borrow it let me know, more than happy to help.

I had to do my jesus bolt in car, and doing it this way did not feel good. I tried it and stopped, also the car started to go up the blocks lol. I have the proper tool that bolts to the crank using the dampener bolts and then you just rest the handle on the ground and get a torque wrench, feels much better than the car in gear method. If you want to borrow it let me know, more than happy to help.

I.LOVE.YOU.

PM sent

bc45e136ac419ed489f609b305a64dd4.jpg

Going to have to custom make a tool or just buy this and modify it: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=TOL-3034-2

Lightly rtv'd the gasket added blue loctite then torqued down the pick-up bolts.

6a883760166f45608913049584ba7db9.jpg

Installed the oil pump. Blue loctite and 17ft/lbs all bolts including the reverse threaded grade 8 oil pump bolt. Proceeded to safety wire the bolt.

698ddfe6cebc772a89c29ba73639d74c.jpg