WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Chapter GMW | E30 LS1 (starting on post #1427)

DrLeadFoot

What exactly is the blue flywheel of death? Lol

Also, wouldn't a twin disk not feel stock at all? Unless you are talking about a different version , but most run crazy clamping force and won't have good pedal feel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

All of the reviews say it is very streetable and holds big power. I might need this in my life.

I am not sure why it has this terrible reputation, maybe people are using it with other mods that cause engine destruction?  Lots of crap info on the interwebs.  I run the OE e34 m5 pressure plate/clutch and it feels like stock but grabs way better.  I am NA though.

In regards to the twin disc, it will be more stock feeling than a similar torque capable single disc because you have twice as much friction area.  Same pressure plate force multiplied by twice the area = twice the torque capability with the same pedal feel.

All of the reviews say it is very streetable and holds big power. I might need this in my life.

Please don't listen to anyone here that says its bad. Its stock feel as it has 2 clutch discs so doesnt need as much clamping force to achieve the same thing your south bend would. I have driven a 673whp m52 e34 with one and could a very slight difference. Go to bimmerforumns were people actually have experince with them not here were its all here say. John I know all the secrets let me know if you need anyother info. Haha

it sure doesn't look a whole lot like mine,  but I'm not sure if I have a stage 4 or a stage 5? And its red if that makes a difference. 

Anyone else want an affordable twin disc? I'm going to be using a quartermasters twin disc, and their hydraulic TOB, and use a ring gear from an automatic, and build a simple button flywheel(or drill my bolt pattern into the one it comes with). 

whole setup should be less than 500. And engage like stock :) yet hold 1000ftlb. Ive personally driven a couple of these quartermaster twin discs, and they work great and are CHEAP and rebuildable. never driven one in a bmw though.. 

Turns out bmw is awesome and uses a 10 spline 1 1/8th input shaft, which is the same as most SBC transmission options, so thing are cheap WOOHOO. 

it sure doesn't look a whole lot like mine,  but I'm not sure if I have a stage 4 or a stage 5? And its red if that makes a difference. 

Anyone else want an affordable twin disc? I'm going to be using a quartermasters twin disc, and their hydraulic TOB, and use a ring gear from an automatic, and build a simple button flywheel(or drill my bolt pattern into the one it comes with). 

whole setup should be less than 500. And engage like stock :) yet hold 1000ftlb. Ive personally driven a couple of these quartermaster twin discs, and they work great and are CHEAP and rebuildable. never driven one in a bmw though.. 

Turns out bmw is awesome and uses a 10 spline 1 1/8th input shaft, which is the same as most SBC transmission options, so thing are cheap WOOHOO.

Do you have a link to a set up like the one you're speaking of?

Were are you finding these quartermasters for $500? Unless they are used, which I would nmever use a used set up unless it had new clutch discs and such. From searching they are all around $1700 with TOB. Jon again go over to bimmerforums and search. Tried and true set ups that are known to work and not having to make your own flywheel.. Honestly if these set ups were that cheap and easy many people would have done it already. 

Were are you finding these quartermasters for $500? Unless they are used, which I would nmever use a used set up unless it had new clutch discs and such. From searching they are all around $1700 with TOB. Jon again go over to bimmerforums and search. Tried and true set ups that are known to work and not having to make your own flywheel.. Honestly if these set ups were that cheap and easy many people would have done it already. 

I think I was pricing a used unit, that was rebuilt(which there are like 10000 on ebay or racing junk) But you can find on quartermasters site that chevy 10 spline 1 1/8 for less than 800 complete. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still trying to find the UUC Twin disc clutch... It's not in the basement or in the couch.

Anyone have a good condition g260 trans? Mine is noisy when the clutch is out. Yes, I do have a new TOB. I'm guessing bad bearings inside the trans. It was noisy before the turbo.

Or should I put new bearings in my trans? It has close to 300,000 on it.

Thats the "Getrag rattle" (worn layshaft bearings). Mine does it a bit too, nothing any normal passenger in the car would notice. How bad is yours? As im sure you are aware it isnt anything to be concerned with other than the annoyance of the noise.

There is/was a guy on the east coast that sold rebuilt transmissions (primarily for specE30) for about $800. Search for it on r3v

Thats the "Getrag rattle" (worn layshaft bearings). Mine does it a bit too, nothing any normal passenger in the car would notice. How bad is yours? As im sure you are aware it isnt anything to be concerned with other than the annoyance of the noise.

There is/was a guy on the east coast that sold rebuilt transmissions (primarily for specE30) for about $800. Search for it on r3v

Mine is really loud and I don't know if I want to pay "That Company" that much money for old arse parts...

As in you have a 2.93 LSD? I have also read that you can put an extra LSD clutch in the stock diff?

Yes. for more lockup. you don't NEED a 2.93, but it would be a little nicer. Would be a good winter project though! And it will help the squirly-ness on straight line beans giving. The clutch packs, not the ratio. 

but seriously throw the getrag out. no need when zf's are better and cheaper.