WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

chit chat thread

B C

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the one Tsweers posted my car in? =P

I really don't understand why slow applies to my car. Doesn't make much sense to put a "fast" motor in a car that won't be driven fast. It isn't the slowest car in the world and handling matters much more to me than speed (even though I am form over function for the most part at this point) 

Is that the one Tsweers posted my car in? =P

I really don't understand why slow applies to my car. Doesn't make much sense to put a "fast" motor in a car that won't be driven fast. It isn't the slowest car in the world and handling matters much more to me than speed (even though I am form over function for the most part at this point) 

Earl, I agree with your reasoning to not put a fast engine in your car but I don't think you can use the handling argument.  I would challenge that the modifications you have made (suspension, wheel/tire size, etc) have made it a worse handling car than it was stock.  You have defeated function and gone full blown form lol.  It's rolling art instead of a no nonsense race car.

The only thing that I can say would hurt my handling is tire size lol. That's why I said I'm more form than function =)

Everything else has been an upgrade...

The airlift struts would perform very well at a nice track height, the mix of poly and delrin bushings stiffen up the rear, and the z3 rack/treehouse racing eyeball arms/e34 steering coupler increase the responsiveness of the steering.

I won't ever track the car but a spirited drive every so often would be enjoyable=) For the most part she will just be a cruiser

I added wheel size to the mix because from my eyeball I would say that I couldn't properly align that car to handle better than it would be with a different offset.  You have changed the track width of the car which changes the alignment angles and the scrub radius which effectively changes where the center of your tire contacts the road.