WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 project thread

Bassboy3313

I think once he gets a TPS, and gets the fuel rail welded up, its just a matter of making a fuel rail mount bracket, modding some of the charge piping, and wiring up the sensors.

I THINK HE TOLD ME HE WOULD HAVE IT DONE NEXT WEEKEND 

Im pretty sure it bugs the crap out of him when I prod him like this , lol. 

Well more progress this weekend. Drilled a new hole in the top of the fuel rail and welded up the FPR mount and old hole. Turned out rather nice.

rail_zpse34b5708.jpg

rail5_zpsbabad1ed.jpg

Mounted it all back on the engine and it fits very purdy.

rail2_zpsf399602e.jpg

Started figuring out the mounting location for the fuel rail and decided to bend up a bracket to go from the stock fuel rail mounts to the manifold stud.

rail4_zps5fc52682.jpg

rail7_zps9aa2e639.jpg

Then I also started running the megasquirt harness and wiring through the firewall and into the engine bay. Boy this is going to be some tedious wiring work!! :angry:

rail3_zps6d046050.jpg

Be ye not deceived. He salvaged the lamp cord that was powering the fan. 

The curse of Fat Bob can never be lifted.

...okay not really, but I remember you said you needed some brown wires.....

guess who is throwing away some lamps with brown wires!?!?!?!?

call me.  

Went ahead and mounted the fuel rail along with the intake manifold. Snap also came over to help and got a big chunk of the wiring done. Thanks again! Tomorrow I should have pretty much all the wiring done with the exception of a few things like IAT sensor since that hasn't been mounted yet.

So running by Monday??

**slowly exits thread****

That's nice that things get done when he is over. When I go over there, we just play with UV lights. @__@

Also. I hear with the removal of krap-jet you gained room in the engine bay. Any plans for a nice shiny bay?

Oh you! (flips the wrist) ^_^

Well thats a great thing to play with dye and uv light. We had our rave parties too when I had my coolant leak.

Tons of room on the passenger side of the bay. Eventually when I pull the engine to do the 2.0 crank/rod/piston upgrade I will definitely clean up the bay and paint it nicely. That wont be for awhile tho. I want to enjoy it for awhile before it goes under the knife again. :D

• 1 month later...

Well, haven't done much of any work on the car the past few weeks due to cold ass weather, snow blocking entrance to the work area, work taking up tons of time and now just got an accepted offer on a duplex I am purchasing in Bayview. Busy, busy, busy. Hopefully soon I will muster up the motivation and time to work on that damn wiring again. I did however semi-purchase a set of wheels for when the Groupe 2 flares go on. Expect some pics later tonight if all goes well.

Picked up some 15x9 et-15 Rota Grid V wheels. They are bronze with black plastidipped centers. The offset and size should be perfect for what my setup will be. I realized that finding the size and offset I need in the bbs style (my first choice) is nearly impossible or down right way too expensive for me. So as these are my first choice, they should do the job well.

wheels1_zpsf3791c20.jpg

wheels4_zps44b8cc66.jpg

wheels3_zps391790f8.jpg

wheels5_zps4b5e6352.jpg

wheels2_zps7dfe977c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well it has definitely been a loooong time since I had the chance to work on the car. This weekend was a good start again. I got the wiring figured out after realizing the ignition power switch wire to the starter was on the wrong terminal causes a no crank situation. Also removed some more rats nest wiring from PO. Ran the grounds for megasquirt and wideband & also the switched source for megasquirt.

On top of that I removed the gauge cluster to eliminate more bullcrap wiring from PO.

ja9erymu.jpg

Installed fan on intercooler for added airflow as well as to blow air over turbo too.

tupe9apy.jpg

Had to cut the two mount pegs off to get the intercooler to fit better. Here is mockup of location.

8yvajama.jpgu6ynugu5.jpg

Took off the hood latches for sandblasting and powdercoating.

jadajy4y.jpg

More to come (obviously!)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Took off today and got to work on the car some more. Finished powdercoating the hood hinges.

IMG_20140516_133318_289_zps98d147f8.jpg

Connected megasquirt to the laptop and tested a few things to see if wiring was correct. So far everything seems to check out fine which is a relief.

Snugged down the intake manifold.

Bolted down the throttle body.

Ran the fuel hose from the stock hard lines to the fuel rail.

Removed the dented up front US valance.

IMG_20140516_140719_978_zps1d5961ab.jpg

Old US valance compared to the euro valance I will be modifying (Thanks again Kyle)

IMG_20140516_140829_593_zps23e4dc9c.jpg

Mock fit the oil cooler and ran the lines into engine bay.

IMG_20140516_141244_705_zps6a62468f.jpg

IMG_20140516_143852_005_zpscd4fec3f.jpg

IMG_20140516_141826_675_zpsbffdcefa.jpg

IMG_20140516_151208_200_zpsb5e1d185.jpg

Started working on the custom oil cooler mounts and thats where I stopped. I will be doing more work tomorrow as well.