WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 project thread

Bassboy3313

I got the parking brakes installed, cables/hoses/lines all put on and the calipers/rotors on the rear this weekend. All-in-all a pretty productive weekend considering I spent my Saturday taking an 8 hour fundamentals of engineering (FE) exam.

Started working on the rear coilover setup. I have brand new bilstein sports that I installed the coilover sleeves on.
rearbillyCO2_zps08867473.jpg

From the looks of things, I am going to need either longer springs or helper springs to make this work. I am still new to the whole diy coilover stuff, so it will definitely be a learning experience.

Started working on the rear coilover setup. I have brand new bilstein sports that I installed the coilover sleeves on.

From the looks of things, I am going to need either longer springs or helper springs to make this work. I am still new to the whole diy coilover stuff, so it will definitely be a learning experience.

Do you plan to reinforce the shock mounts when converting to the coilover setup?

Well it looks like the car wont be on the road as soon as I wanted it to. I decided to go all out and pretty much do everything on the list NOW. Saturday I was working on getting the tapped s14 oil filter housing installed since the sandwich plate I was using before was preventing the alternator from swinging far enough to get the new belt on. Plus it’s a lot cleaner without the sandwich plate. Turned out I need to remove the AFM and fuel dizzy (FD) in order to get the top bolt off the oil filter housing. I removed the charge piping and noticed water and some oil coming out. Right then and there I decided to just go ahead and put the rebuilt head on since I had shit apart this far already.

AFM, FD and oil filter housing out

AFMFD_zps1559c324.jpg

AFMoff_zpscbd4c4a3.jpg

Intake manifold out

IMoff_zps8ad9c0e5.jpg

After draing oil and coolant, disconnecting wires and hoses and the exhaust manifold, the cylinder head was finally out

headoff_zps7652bea7.jpg

Now its time to do some clean up and prep work for the new head, arp studs and mls gasket to go on as well as clean and paint the parts removed that are going back on. As mentioned before, I jump around from project to project. I wanted to make a rear strut brace since it is a simple design and will help wonders with the new rear end and soon to come coilovers, so I started that. A member over on BF sent me a CAD file of the strut plates that he made awhile back. I ordered up some plate steel and steel tubing from Speedy Metals and went at it. Printed out the strut plate templates and transferred them to the plate steel. My brother ended up working Sunday morning (works at a machine shop), so he cut the templates out for me which took WAY less time than it would of if I cut them out myself.

strutbracetemplate_zps6155a5a8.jpg

rearstrutplatesdone_zpse44bdd14.jpg

All that’s left on that is to do some finish grinding and test fitments and see how long the cross bar needs to be. Cut the tubing to length, flatten the ends and weld them to the plates. A little black paint to finish them off and that will be that. I also figured more out on my rear coilover setup.

rearbillyCO3_zps1c1080e4.jpg

I will be grabbing some helper springs from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies this week and then my brother is going to lathe some spring dividers for me. Once those are machined and installed that will complete the rear coilover setup and onto the fronts I go. That will be a different update tho.

• 4 weeks later...

It has definitely been busy as hell at work and my weekends have been preoccupied with others things, but I can finally post an update. To answer 02intherockies questions, the rear brake hose issue was solved by using e30 rear brake hoses screwed directly into the caliper. It’s a tiny bit of a stretch, but it works. I finally got the crank pulley to come off thanks to the help of a gigantic gear puller from Advance Auto. The smaller one I got from O'reilly just didn’t cut it apparently. I am in the process of replacing the seal in the timing cover right now. Once that is done, I will mount the new machined down crank pulley and mock up how to trigger wheel will sit in relation to the vr sensor. Going along with my copper rear end, I said screw it and used up some more paint on the pulleys. Most of you probably won’t agree, but to each their own, right?

Water pump pulley and vr sensor mount

pulleyampmount_zps0b9fc5e1.jpg

My brother and my dad both work at a machining/metal spinning company, so I utilized their expertise and machines at their work. I picked up a big chunk of solid aluminum 3-1/4” rod from Speedy Metals for $20 and had my brother throw it on the lathe to make some spring dividers. I just drew it up in CAD and away it went. As you know, when using helper springs you need a divider between it and the main spring. A couple days later and we had this.

Sspringdivider1_zps957849c0.jpg

Sspringdivider2_zpsb3b53602.jpg

Which gets installed like this.

Sspringdivider3_zps3d6bb9b1.jpg

From that point, the rear coilover setup was complete to the point of install. I will have to wait and see the ride height once I can put the car on the ground, so tweaking most likely will be needed.

coiloversdone_zpsbaf00fdc.jpg

CrearCOinstalled_zps60a773c9.jpg

Cwheelmounteddroop_zpsa649f1af.jpg

Along with that stuff I mocked up the front euro bumper using bmacs adapters that I powdercoated earlier in the build. My front valance is dented in from someone backing into the car, so that made it a big rough to mount it. All-in-all I think it looks better than what I had.

Ffronteuroinstalled_zps5dc782f1.jpg

That is all for now. Stay tuned!

• 1 month later...