WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E21 project thread

Bassboy3313

Well she is back under the knife. I am beginning the megasquirt efi install now that the edis setup is working perfectly. Took the intake manifold off the other day and worked on the m30 throttle body install and adapter I made to raise it up a tad for the charge piping to clear the valve cover.

IMG_20131129_154812_684_zps5f514097.jpg

The goal is to drill holes in the manifold runners for the efi injectors to spray at the rear end of the valve. You can see where the CIS injector sits in the head and where it aims here.

IMG_20131129_154838_038_zpsd4f58c9d.jpg

Scars, scars, and more scars. Taking that manifold off was a bitch!!

IMG_20131129_155453_968_zps0abeaf47.jpg

This also reminds me I never posted a finished picture of the throttle body adapter I made.

IMG_20131129_182442_172_zps862d28cb.jpg

Old throttle body off, mounting holes for the adapter marked.

IMG_20131129_182518_829_zps0ca79ba5.jpg

Holes were then drilled and tapped. M30 throttle body and adapter test fitted.

IMG_20131129_200544_121_zps1f0ecaf5.jpg

IMG_20131129_200437_113_zps30019f5f.jpg

Next will be to create a jig somehow that will allow me to bolt it down to the manifold, and have guides for the drill bit to drill the holes for the injector bungs at the precise angle for each runner. If any of the injectors are a tiny bit off, it will cause a leak issue at the fuel rail which wouldn't be good. The jig will take lots of time and fabricating to make, but I think its the best way to get all the injectors lined up perfectly.

Started calculating the angles and drawing up the jig in autocad. First I found the injector angle on the 318i fuel rail. I calculated it with a protractor to be 13 degrees. I then took a picture of the rail and drew up the angles in CAD and got 12 degrees. Pretty darn close. I decided to go with 12 degrees.

fuelangle_zpse8f30d62.png

From there I came up with a "simple" jig. The jig will be created from plywood. Two pieces connected at a 90 degree angle with bracing on the sides. The manifold will then be bolted to the vertical piece of plywood at the correct 12 degrees. This will allow me to place the entire assembly on the drill press and the holes will be the correct 12 degrees for the fuel rail. I used a generic manifold for the CAD model, so don't freak out too much.

fuelanglejig_zpsbde5ad03.png

My thinking is this. First, I drill the holes to the fuel rail angle of 12 degrees. Then to get the correct angle for the injectors to fire fuel at the back of the valve as needed, I will then oval out the holes either with a boring bit or a dremel until the injector bung is sitting in correct position.

OR, my other thinking was I could make the jig so that the outer braces are longer and have slotted holes. That way the entire vertical piece could be tilted backwards to the correct angle for the fuel to flow at the back of valve. This way in one movement of the drill press the holes will be at BOTH of the correct angles simultaneously. This will obviously take more fancy work with the jig. I am still debating which route I should take. Don't want to mess up my one and only intake manifold.

#1  Nice idea on the jig.  that is pretty much what I had in mind also.

#2  Use SolidWorks.

#3 My vote still stands for "oval out the holes either with a dremel" after drilling.

If you muff it up you can always just scrounge the internet for the next 10 years looking for another BAE intake manifold for sale. No big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I ran into fitment issues with the injectors and fuel rail with the manifold I have. Its just simply not going to work in the location normally used. After going through many many iterations on what I could do to make it work, I stumbled upon injectors from a 1.8t VW or Audi. They are considered EV12 injectors that are skinnier as well as having an extended tip on them. I found a used one on ebay for cheap to see if it would work with the CIS injector ports that are on my head.

CIS Injector

temporary_zps6a4af610.jpg

EV1 Injector

fuelinjector_zps344b87c1.jpg

EV12 Injector (1.8t)

ev12_zps86840737.jpg

After fitting the EV12 injector in the head port exactly how I got, it seems to be a perfect length with the extended tip. The only issue is the headport hole being larger than the injector and o-ring causing the injector to not seal correctly.

ev123_zps46ede135.jpg

ev122_zps533dc9be.jpg

To me it seems like if I could find a thicker o-ring with the same ID as the EV12, but a larger OD then I would be golden. Well, when comparing the two styles of injectors side-by-side I noticed that the EV1 injectors have thicker o-rings. BRILLIANT! I swapped the EV12 o-ring for an EV1 o-ring and BOOM! the injector now sits within the head port steady and seals well too. Now to get 3 more used ones or go for 4 new EV12 injectors.

I finished the adapters for the IAC and TPS today and got them mounted to the manifold. Vinyl cutter came in handy when cutting some gaskets for the sensors and throttle body. Mounted the throttle body adapter and throttle body to the manifold as well.

IMG_20131221_143147_301_zps4d2f8d06.jpg

I also finished up some wiring on the megasquirt for the idle stepper valve control. Works great! Cant say that for the m50 TPS tho. The one I got turned out to be a dud after hooking it up to megasquirt and attempting the calibrate it. I opened the sensor up to find a broken wiper arm. Ggrrr! Time to search for a new one now.

IMG_20131221_165723_261_zps716eaa30.jpg

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Well, the 318i coolant neck has been drilled and tapped for the MS temp sensor along with getting cleaned and painted. The BOV also got a sprits of fresh paint (not the greatest, but no one will see it anyways, lol).

a6544a103524_65dd1602-01a7-41d9-93d3-2cb

I also removed the Megajolt unit (which is for sale by the way)

megajolt_zps09cf2b57.jpg

And I went ahead and tore apart the oem wiring harness. This was definitely an interesting thing to do. So much wiring was removed it shocked me.

What was removed

ef54a6a44c8b_c3e4665e-b5c2-4235-8227-6ae

What needs to stay

8fe07c8cfc7b_47d5fae8-312a-4e7b-9b38-243

Did some more work today on the beem. I ended up cutting the grooves in the injectors for the clips to hold them to the rail.

fuel8_zpse7b660a2.jpg

Fitted them in the head and found out the hard way that the FPR hit the head, not allowing the fuel rail to sit correctly. So, off came the FPR from the stock e30 318i fuel rail. I will be welding the hole shut on the rail and redrilling it on top of the rail in the same location as it was. Then, welding an injector boss (since the FPR has the same diameter o-ring as the injector) and the FPR mount in the new spot.

fuel2_zps00bd8d85.jpg

fuel3_zps16a7587e.jpg

fuel1_zps2d3e9ad9.jpg

After cutting the FPR mount off I fitted it to the head with the injectors and seems like it will be perfect. Until I put the intake manifold back on. :angry: The hose nipple that I was using for the feed to IAC interferes with the fuel rail, so off it came too. I jb welded it closed and will just need to smoothen it out inside the tb which isnt a big deal.

fuel9_zpsd5f09956.jpg

fuel4_zps4d0b1585.jpg

fuel7_zps895eef04.jpg

fuel6_zpsb9fd5356.jpg

fuel5_zps8f97b105.jpg

So things are back on track once I get that fuel rail and FPR stuff welded and clean up throttle body. She's getting there!